Chattahoochee hunt

chrislibby88

I will be on Chestatee. Weather does look amazing as the weekend rolls into the early week days. I’m stoked!

Wish I was going! Too far of a drive for one weekend. Good luck.

Find the acorns, find the bears!

The Arrow Guru

I’m heading up this weekend for my very first attempt at a bear. Got some intel from a guy that’s had success up there. Gonna be there Fri-Sun. Be just above Ball Ground. Hit me up if you feel like sharing a camp.

Killer Kyle

No dice for me! I hunted Monday evening thru tonight. My usual spots were dried up. I stayed on the move checking spots, and just flat out failed this year. No good excuses as to why. One interesting observation I made over the last several days was not only the noticeable lack of white oaks, but a few of my spots were dry on red oaks too. I knew the white oaks would be scarce. I found a few white oaks producing a few acorns here and there, but no game sign in them, which was a head scratcher. I found chestnut oaks aplenty, and a few of my tried and true scarlet oak spots failed too, which was the biggest head scratcher of all. I did find some northern red oak spots here and there with some old sign, but my best scarlet oak spots were barren. I saw lots of early aborted scarlet oak acorns much like a lot of the white oaks did this year. I haven't heard any reports of scarlet oak spots failing, so I was surprised.

This year reminds me of the year 2015. I had the hardest time finding a bear that year too.
I did speak with one young fella yesterday who was hunting. He was from out of town. He and his buddy killed a couple of hogs, and he saw a sow with a cub.

It was a weird hunt for me for sure. I saw a few houndsmen rolling in today on my way in. I hope they have much better luck than I had on this hunt!

On a different note...I found an illegal bait site on the WMA yesterday. Unfortunately it was not the first one I have found. Not the second one, or the third one, either. It was in the exact same place where I found that bait site last year, and I am pretty sure that it has to be the same guy. I think the odds of finding a bait site in the exact same place two years in a row and made by different men is pretty slim. It was a jar of peanut butter hanging from a branch, and peanut butter smeared on a white pine next to it. There were also two freshly opened cans of sardines hanging from a laurel bush nearby.
It really grinds my gears that so many still hunters and hound hunters are working so hard to get it done the right way, and fools like that try to cheat the system. I'll be watching that site like a hawk next year. There simply is no excuse for that.
Whoever did that...if you are reading this...shame on you!

chrislibby88

No dice for me! I hunted Monday evening thru tonight. My usual spots were dried up. I stayed on the move checking spots, and just flat out failed this year. No good excuses as to why. One interesting observation I made over the last several days was not only the noticeable lack of white oaks, but a few of my spots were dry on red oaks too. I knew the white oaks would be scarce. I found a few white oaks producing a few acorns here and there, but no game sign in them, which was a head scratcher. I found chestnut oaks aplenty, and a few of my tried and true scarlet oak spots failed too, which was the biggest head scratcher of all. I did find some northern red oak spots here and there with some old sign, but my best scarlet oak spots were barren. I saw lots of early aborted scarlet oak acorns much like a lot of the white oaks did this year. I haven't heard any reports of scarlet oak spots failing, so I was surprised.

This year reminds me of the year 2015. I had the hardest time finding a bear that year too.
I did speak with one young fella yesterday who was hunting. He was from out of town. He and his buddy killed a couple of hogs, and he saw a sow with a cub.

It was a weird hunt for me for sure. I saw a few houndsmen rolling in today on my way in. I hope they have much better luck than I had on this hunt!

On a different note...I found an illegal bait site on the WMA yesterday. Unfortunately it was not the first one I have found. Not the second one, or the third one, either. It was in the exact same place where I found that bait site last year, and I am pretty sure that it has to be the same guy. I think the odds of finding a bait site in the exact same place two years in a row and made by different men is pretty slim. It was a jar of peanut butter hanging from a branch, and peanut butter smeared on a white pine next to it. There were also two freshly opened cans of sardines hanging from a laurel bush nearby.
It really grinds my gears that so many still hunters and hound hunters are working so hard to get it done the right way, and fools like that try to cheat the system. I'll be watching that site like a hawk next year. There simply is no excuse for that.
Whoever did that...if you are reading this...shame on you!
Sounds like my hunt, and everyone else that I talked to on Chestatee. What surprised me the most is finding a pile of 30+ persimmons, most of them rotten from sitting so long. This same ridge was covered with scat last year all full of persimmon seeds. There was no sign on this ridge, at all, though I did bump a small bear crossing a saddle, nothing but the actual sighting indicated that a bear was in the area, I’m guessing he was just crossing the saddle, or just found the food.

As for that bait site, I’m sure some DNR guys would be interested in where you found it.

Killer Kyle

Sounds like my hunt, and everyone else that I talked to on Chestatee. What surprised me the most is finding a pile of 30+ persimmons, most of them rotten from sitting so long. This same ridge was covered with scat last year all full of persimmon seeds. There was no sign on this ridge, at all, though I did bump a small bear crossing a saddle, nothing but the actual sighting indicated that a bear was in the area, I’m guessing he was just crossing the saddle, or just found the food.

As for that bait site, I’m sure some DNR guys would be interested in where you found it.
Trust me...they know!!