Chattahoochee NF-No Antlerless Deer Hunting

Rulo

I see you often bash DNR.
On this point about a couch that you looked at for over two years,
why in the world wouldn’t you do your part and haul that thing to the dump if it bothered you that much?
It’s not a bad thing to get caught hauling away a couch or garbage you found.
They may have seen it before as did you.
They’d probably stop and thank you for helping and they can’t give you a ticket if you had it in your truck hauling it away.
Don’t demand of others things your not willing to help do for yourself and say it’s not your job too.
It is my job to help keep the forest clean and my payment is the view.

hmmmm....look at from this angle and do a little experiment for us here on the GON Network.....

Saturday or better yet....preferably in the Fall when people are out and about either looking at leaves or simply scouting......or better yet during one of the newly passed bear dog hunts......go find ya a nasty old couch and a love seat plus all the soiled cushions you can find and stuff it in the bed of your tacomma pick up and drive around one of the mountain WMAs......

Make sure people see you driving around......and see what happens.......

Just curious........Do that and tell us what happens........now remember.....DNR/WRD Personal dont see the couch lying in the cul de sac (its been sitting there for 2 years) must be camoed up or something but they dont see it.

This would be even better....since you drove an hour to pick up said couch and love seat,,,,,,, you load it up and drive over to another WMA and park in your favorite spot and go in for a few hours and come out at dark...

tell us who was waiting on you to return to your vehicle and what happens.......

and this one would be even better.... as mentioned by a Senior GON Member previously.....lite it on fire and add a tire or two just to get some much needed attention.....once again wait. And tell us what happens!!!!!!

Now remember....your on a WMA....

Last edited:

ripplerider

Well you could take a picture of it sitting in the cul-de-sac, load it up then haul it off. If you drove by it for two years surely you went home at least once straight from there. If you parked with it in your truck every day for a month they couldnt do a thing to you unless you unloaded it on Forest Service land. I've hunted in a truck with scrap lumber and other stuff in the back that would get you a ticket if you threw it out many times with no-one saying anything. I pick up trash all the time on F.S. because I know it will lay there till judgement day if I dont, and it also makes me feel like I've done a little bit of good that day. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of trash that gets casually dropped out of car windows not to mention left at campsites. Who raised these people and why do they come to the woods and then litter?

ddd-shooter

Well you could take a picture of it sitting in the cul-de-sac, load it up then haul it off. If you drove by it for two years surely you went home at least once straight from there. If you parked with it in your truck every day for a month they couldnt do a thing to you unless you unloaded it on Forest Service land. I've hunted in a truck with scrap lumber and other stuff in the back that would get you a ticket if you threw it out many times with no-one saying anything. I pick up trash all the time on F.S. because I know it will lay there till judgement day if I dont, and it also makes me feel like I've done a little bit of good that day. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of trash that gets casually dropped out of car windows not to mention left at campsites. Who raised these people and why do they come to the woods and then litter?
Have cleaned many a campsite myself. Boggles my mind. Leave it better than you found it would go a long way nowadays. After all, it is OUR land.
But I will also say, if I can put some trash in my truck, I hope the forest service, game wardens, and game management guys do as well.

carver

The amount of trash left in the forest makes me sick,when hunting,fishing,or just walking I always carry a trash bag or two,I'll never understand people who litter.

ArrowJack

This is a good thing, for 2 reasons: 1. Bears and Coyotes are killing so many fawns that the recruitment rate is way too low.

2. There needs to be some select or clear cutting for browse and fawn cover, and more plots for feed during the years of mast failures. I’m not sure we can do anything about that with it being federal land.

I wish the state would add a spring bear season and increase the limit for bears. For the life of me, I do not understand why the state does not want to reduce the current population by 90%. Bear hunting is fun, but when it’s time to deer hunt virtually NOBODY who lives and hunts up here values bears more than deer. Yet, over the past 20 years, as the bear and coyotes have increased the deer have greatly decreased.

Plenty of wildlife openings are intentionally unattended to now. You can view satellite imagery from 2016 on google maps and look at food plots (wildlife openings) on the NF and WMAs. Visit some of them now and you'll find 10 foot pines and brush everywhere. I'm not sure if there is some kind of management strategy behind this or DNR just doesn't do as much work as they used to.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Plenty of wildlife openings are intentionally unattended to now. You can view satellite imagery from 2016 on google maps and look at food plots (wildlife openings) on the NF and WMAs. Visit some of them now and you'll find 10 foot pines and brush everywhere. I'm not sure if there is some kind of management strategy behind this or DNR just doesn't do as much work as they used to.

Some of them are being managed as early successional habitat, which means leaving it fallow and letting weeds take over. Once trees take over, you set back succession again through fire, plowing, and/or herbicide. That's the type of habitat most lacking in the mountains.

ArrowJack

Some of them are being managed as early successional habitat, which means leaving it fallow and letting weeds take over. Once trees take over, you set back succession again through fire, plowing, and/or herbicide. That's the type of habitat most lacking in the mountains.

Thanks for the response, Charlie. Always value your input.