Chattahoochee River, Downtown Helen

Killer Kyle

Could some of y'all out there who know tell me what the actual upstream and downstream boundaries are for the stretch of river through Helen? Also, where are good places to park to access that stretch? I have fished the Hooch a million billion days in my life, and literally have never once stepped foot on the stretch in town. I have avoided it like the plague because of the people and traffic. The year before last I fished the upper stretch somewhere between 200-250 days. I lost count. But still I have never fished in town. I'm actually not looking to trout fish there. I am looking for some deep or slow runs to catch some small bass in.
Thanks for any help y'all can give!
-KK

Tentwing

Kyle , From the bridge in the center of town upstream to the next bridge always seemed to have a few stockers. I have never had a banner day there, but never had a bad day either. All Rainbows with the occasional 14 incher over the years. I would occasionally fish that stretch when my wife and daughter were hitting the shops in town. The smell of fudge coming from the Hansel&Gretal candy shop in town was always a plus. After fishing I would run by Betty’s Country Store for a sandwich and a Ginger Ale. I never caught any bass in that stretch though.
Tentwing

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I went through there on Friday at my wife's request and then ran into Betty's from the north end of town after fishing the hooch and now would be a good time to try the in town stretch as they are not putting tubes in the water right now.

Killer Kyle

I went through there on Friday at my wife's request and then ran into Betty's from the north end of town after fishing the hooch and now would be a good time to try the in town stretch as they are not putting tubes in the water right now.
That is what I was thinking. No tubes floating by to interrupt fishing time!

gunnurse

Just think while you’re there, you are standing in the cradle of one of the biggest metro areas in our country. Without two creeks coming to a confluence in Helen, no Atlanta.

Killer Kyle

Kyle , From the bridge in the center of town upstream to the next bridge always seemed to have a few stockers. I have never had a banner day there, but never had a bad day either. All Rainbows with the occasional 14 incher over the years. I would occasionally fish that stretch when my wife and daughter were hitting the shops in town. The smell of fudge coming from the Hansel&Gretal candy shop in town was always a plus. After fishing I would run by Betty’s Country Store for a sandwich and a Ginger Ale. I never caught any bass in that stretch though.
Tentwing

Thanks Tentwing! There are indeed bass in there, but not many. There are Chattahoochee Bass in there. I fished the river just north of there over 200 days in a single calendar year a couple years ago and probably didnt even catch 10 of them, but they are in there....somewhere. I took a friend of mine fishing once on the WMA, and he caught one right at the confluence of the Chattahoochee River and Low Gap Creek. It was only about 4" long, but it was a chattahoochee bass no doubt. He caught it on a Trout Magnet gold colored jig with a Berkley Power Honey Worm on it. I consider that to be way up into trout waters. I'm sure I still have the picture around somewhere. The ones I catch are usually about 5 or 6 inches in length. When the trout fishing comes to a near halt by late June and the water is too warm and the fish are stressed and sluggish and seldom bite, I then start trying for bass. The going is slow, but I usually manage a few each year. I dont think I have ever caught a Chattahoochee bass exceeding maybe 9" in length, but there has to be some bigger ones in there.
Thanks for the good info man! I will put it to good use!

fish hawk

Bass Master
Chattahoochee bass are there they are also present in the tributaries,I've caught some in Smith creek,typically they run on the small side due to the cold water and competition for food.36460761_1961642100534786_5336248036349706240_n (1).jpg

Killer Kyle

I figured Smith Creek would be a good one. It is small water. Probably gonna have to wait until the DH ends to get after them there I guess.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I figured Smith Creek would be a good one. It is small water. Probably gonna have to wait until the DH ends to get after them there I guess.
I'f I were specifically targeting chattahoochee bass I'd probably fish the area around buck shoals wma

huntfish

Go stand behind the concrete pillars and cast up against the **** where the water is flowing down.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Does the DH apply to the bass in Smith creek or just the trout?