Cheap Bench Vise

hopper

Picked up a cheap vise from Walmart on a whim walking the isles. Cracked the jaw off 1st time using it to flatten conduit.
Looking for a home use 3.5-5" under $150.00.
I had an old one my father in law gave me that was probably from the 40's I left at the house when we sold. Kicking myself for that. That thing was un breakable.
Harbor freight has one that claims 60,000 psi cast iron. Atleast if it broke I know they would replace it. Looks like a forged steel one would be $300 minimum.
Any suggestions??

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Picked up a cheap vise from Walmart on a whim walking the isles. Cracked the jaw off 1st time using it to flatten conduit.
Looking for a home use 3.5-5" under $150.00.
I had an old one my father in law gave me that was probably from the 40's I left at the house when we sold. Kicking myself for that. That thing was un breakable.
Harbor freight has one that claims 60,000 psi cast iron. Atleast if it broke I know they would replace it. Looks like a forged steel one would be $300 minimum.
Any suggestions??
I’ve pondered that question myself for many years. I would love to have an American made Wilton or equilavent, to buy a new one would be very costly, I’d want a six inch or bigger. I have a Chinese I bought 30-35 years ago, it does ok , I’d like to have a real one. If you can go to enough junk sale, yard sales, estate sales you’ll eventually luck up and find a good used one.

sinclair1

You local .gov auction site may help. I bought a vise and press brake from the Atlanta school liquidation site for cheap. Quality old stuff

hipster dufus

I too snapped a cheap northern tool 4 in vise. Just bought a 4 in wilton off amazon. Maybe 60$ ? Like it so far. Pondered the HF vise, but like i said i snapped one before. Wilton or irwin on amazon, way to go.lifetime warranty on my wilton.

Big7

The Oracle
This is the HF one I was eying
That one is decent and prolly all you will ever need.

The ones you see in a machine or welding shop ain't cheap. A Wilton or something similar would cost an arm and a leg.

DAWG1419

That one is decent and prolly all you will ever need.

The ones you see in a machine or welding shop ain't cheap. A Wilton or something similar would cost an arm and a leg.
eBay you can get one under $500 depending on size

Anvil Head

In tools - cheap does not equal quality. Cheap = cheap.
Old school Craftsman and Champion are good mid-range if you can find them.
I have picked up two quality big vises for next to nothing at yard sales/estate sales - a 6" Wilton and a Reed Carriage vise 8" jaws and 14" throw (opens to), ex-military grade. Both are quality crushers for sure.
Nope neither is for sale.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGlockMan

I have a 4th generation hand-me-down from pop.

That blacksmith vise has been on alot of stuff.

Good luck with your new vise.

If mine ever broke (doubt it ever will), I'd buy another antique vise just like it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230107-075657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230107-075657_Gallery.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 28

hopper

In tools - cheap does not equal quality. Cheap = cheap.
Old school Craftsman and Champion are good mid-range if you can find them.
I have picked up two quality big vises for next to nothing at yard sales/estate sales - a 6" Wilton and a Reed Carriage vise 8" jaws and 14" throw (opens to), ex-military grade. Both are quality crushers for sure.
Nope neither is for sale.
Looks like Champions are all over ebay and craigslist for under a $100

Baroque Brass

Slightly off topic, but I was in Lowe’s yesterday looking for a vise. I asked the woman in the tool area where they were. She said, do you mean vise grips? I said, no a bench vise. She said, what’s a bench vise?

Just can’t get good help these days.

Anvil Head

I have a 4th generation hand-me-down from pop.

That blacksmith vise has been on alot of stuff.

Good luck with your new vise.

If mine ever broke (doubt it ever will), I'd buy another antique vise just like it.
Yeah, love mine (4). being a bladesmith they get used heavily and often. Fast coarse threads make them easy to close fast with one hand. Most good bench vises have machine (medium to fine) threads and close slower but more precise for a solid clamp.

Just a trick most us knifemakers use - find you some large Aluminum angle and cut two chunks to fit over your vise jaws to keep from marring finer work.

SarahFair

If you're not in a huge hurry, keep an eye out on estatesales.net
I'd check it every Wednesday for sales coming up for the weekend.

There are lots of old ones in basements and out in shops.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
In your price range...private label, made in China, but read the company profile "About us" below. They make vises for nearly everybody.
1_36097414-727d-4346-93f1-5e883db10922_700x.jpg

Forward Tools 5" bench vise

Forward Tools "About us"
========
Alternatively, these show Made in Taiwan, and as far as tools go, that's pretty good these days. Lifetime warranty, 90,000 psi forged steel instead of cast iron. Garagejournal folks seem to like them. $ 150.00.
Vise_2__89769.1637351000_800x.jpg

Fireball Tools 4" Bench Vise
========
Zorotools has a good deal on the China made Wilton WS4 at $ 149.63 and free shipping. You can setup an account and order a single order with a credit card.
Wilton WS4 Vice at Zoro
Z-sLp_lcpEx_.JPG

Last edited: