Checking Traps by Foot

Mike81

I have a pasture I am trapping right now and I really do not want to tear his pasture up with my truck with all this rain coming. I typically set so I can drive by and check them so I leave no scent behind. I know I will have to check these traps by foot so do you think this effects the catch rate?

sportsman94

I have a pasture I am trapping right now and I really do not want to tear his pasture up with my truck with all this rain coming. I typically set so I can drive by and check them so I leave no scent behind. I know I will have to check these traps by foot so do you think this effects the catch rate?

Can you stay back at a distance and check with binos?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Me and my uncle were just talking about this today and we don't see it as detrimental overall, especially with all the rain we been having.

I do it often, found a lot tripped traps and snares down and guaranteed you won't catch anything with them.

I set a snare the other day on a trail/craw under an autumn olive bush, 2 days later had a coyote.

We talked about using binos also which would alleviate a lot of concern

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Put a reveal camera on them. They are always where I walk all durning the season. I’ve peed on a bush several times just to have a male do it to. It was on the way to my stand.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Bet the traps are getting rained out of the ground here in SWGA
Some of mine turned into water sets on the mountain...Hillbilly muskrat, mink and beaver look out