Checking Up on Some Old Friends

35 Whelen

How are the people doing? Recovering? Rebuilding? Leaving?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCMTNHunter

Beautiful pictures and story. It’s always seemed to me that specks have more of an ability to resist displacement during floods than browns and rainbows. I believe it’s because they developed in these creeks systems where flash flooding isn’t uncommon. I’ve noticed rainbows almost disappear from creeks after big floods and specks still be there stronger than ever.

I was talking to a friend the other day that works for NCWRC and was saying that before Fred they had shocked a small steam above a set of barrier falls. The survey turned up 70% rainbow and 30% speck. They planned on going back trying to remove a bunch of rainbows above the falls. When they went back and shocked again after the floods they didn’t turn up a single rainbow. 100% specks.

Not to the magnitude of Fred but you were fishing the tail end of another pretty serious rain event last week. After steady rain all all week that system got hit with 6” in just a few hours on Thursday. The pigeon was out and over the bridges on 215 Thursday afternoon.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful pictures and story. It’s always seemed to me that specks have more of an ability to resist displacement during floods than browns and rainbows. I believe it’s because they developed in these creeks systems where flash flooding isn’t uncommon. I’ve noticed rainbows almost disappear from creeks after big floods and specks still be there stronger than ever.

I was talking to a friend the other day that works for NCWRC and was saying that before Fred they had shocked a small steam above a set of barrier falls. The survey turned up 70% rainbow and 30% speck. They planned on going back trying to remove a bunch of rainbows above the falls. When they went back and shocked again after the floods they didn’t turn up a single rainbow. 100% specks.

Not to the magnitude of Fred but you were fishing the tail end of another pretty serious rain event last week. After steady rain all all week that system got hit with 6” in just a few hours on Thursday. The pigeon was out and over the bridges on 215 Thursday afternoon.
Yeah, everything is still mostly blown out. I can about throw a rock into the Pigeon from the end of my driveway. It's still rolling heavy. I went a while yesterday back in the Smokies, and even the feeder streams are still almost unfishable.