Chef's Choice 310 knife sharpener

Ugahunter2013

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? I have one that was given to me and it will not sharpen a knife sharp at all. I contacted the manufacturer and they said they do not carry parts for it anymore and unless it is under warranty that I would need to take it elsewhere.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    269.2 KB · Views: 2

Ugahunter2013

I have one. It was given to me and does a decent job. Are you looking for a sharpener?

Well I was getting my knives ready to clean a deer this past weekend and could not get the edge needed on the sharpener I had. I was hoping I could find replacement stones for it or find some other type sharpener that would work for me.

treemanjohn

Banned
I use a 1 inch belt sander. It's incredible for knife sharpening ans you can also use it for any other sanding projects.

The 1x30 in leather strop will make a knife super sharp

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well I was getting my knives ready to clean a deer this past weekend and could not get the edge needed on the sharpener I had. I was hoping I could find replacement stones for it or find some other type sharpener that would work for me.
You really can't beat a stone and doing it by hand, but I have a Worksharp belt unit that does a really good job, fast. I mostly use it for sharpening a bunch of kitchen knives at once, but it also works good on all other types of knives.

WishboneW

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? I have one that was given to me and it will not sharpen a knife sharp at all. I contacted the manufacturer and they said they do not carry parts for it anymore and unless it is under warranty that I would need to take it elsewhere.
I have one as well. Worthless.

Big7

The Oracle
Don't use the pull thru type on hard blades.
This set up does the trick.

That Gerber steel is something else.
16686493333225234986591830335922.jpg

DannyW

Be careful of any electric sharpening gadgets. If you don't know what you are doing, they can flat ruin a knife bade in 20-30 seconds.

I had a knife set-up grinder once. You can grind up a whole knife blade in about 30-40 seconds on one if you don't know what you are doing. Had a WorkSharp that did an okay job but wouldn't sharpen the last 1/4" of the blade due to a design flaw.

Proceed with great caution on an electric sharpener!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to remember is that most mechanical sharpeners are designed to sharpen kitchen knives. And most kitchen knives have the edge ground at a different angle than most hunting/pocket knives. If you can't adjust the angle of a mechanical sharpener to match the angle of the edge on your knife, it's not going to work.

Anvil Head

I use my KMG 2x72 with a slack belt set up, but I'm a knifemaker. Like mentioned above, powered sharpeners require skill attained with practice.
Shame on you for starting the deer season with dull knives......

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I use my KMG 2x72 with a slack belt set up, but I'm a knifemaker. Like mentioned above, powered sharpeners require skill attained with practice.
Shame on you for starting the deer season with dull knives......
What is it you always say about dull knives? "A dull knife is just a crappy screwdriver with a pretty handle."

tad1

UGA, Those sharpeners are supposedly hard on knives, not really a big deal if just utilitarian, but not recommended for nicer cutlery. A classic trick is to take a sharpie and color the edge to allow you to see what the sharpener is doing if anything.
I’ve been playing with sharpening for a quite a while now and it certainly is a skill it takes practice for most people. I’ve gotten OK with hand sharpening on a flat bench stone. I really like my Spyderco sharpmaker more and more. really it’s just angled stones that help you to maintain a consistent angle easier.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member