Chestatee bear

tree cutter 08

Shot this bear yesterday morning around 8:15. I had seen a 400lb+ bear in this spot last year and didn't shoot but decided if I seen it again I would. This bear came through and after I realized it wasn't the big one I put my gun down. He came in at about 30 yards and sure did offer a good shot so I figured I would take it. Shot right behind the shoulder and made it about 40 yards and run out of steam. Shooting Barnes tsx in my 243 this year and it did good. Dime size hole going in and quarter size going out. This bear did not bleed a drop until about 25 yards or so and then it was only a spec or 2. Wish I would have taken a picture of how much blood the hair was soaking up. Packed him out in 1 trip and it was rough. Weighed the head and hide and meat when I got home and it was 95 lb plus whatever my pack weighed. Will definitely make 2 trips next time!

Attachments

• IMG_20171115_121155-600x798.jpg
    IMG_20171115_121155-600x798.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 1,518

Duff

Very nice! Great pic also!!

Buckman18

Awesome! Congratulations!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Nice job! I'm really curious to see the current estimated population in north Georgia. There's more bears now than at any time I've been alive.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Heck yeah, now go kill another one......

tree cutter 08

Nice bear Tree Cutter! Congratulations! Male or female?

Yes he was male.
No telling what the actual population is. Been a lot of bears killed this year so that's good. Ive seen way more than normal this year. Seen a bear for every deer I've seen in the big woods.

jbogg

Awesome bear! I can’t believe you were even able to walk today after packing out a load that heavy. That would have put me out of commission for a week. Well done!

Killer Kyle

You make me sick man! Haha Just kidding! You kill more consistently that most hunters I know.
You know, some hunters on this forum think that bears leaving slight or no blood trails isn't s real thing. The last one I killed didn't leave a single drop of blood anywhere to be found. She only ran about +-20 yards, and the only blood was where she laid. I followed her very footsteps. She bled a lot where she laid and died, but not a drop before. Her hair was completely soaked in blood all the way to her hindquarters. When I quartered her up, I looked at her vitals. I shot straight through the heart with my bow, and yet.....no blood.
Bears can be funky like that, no doubt.
Vacation has been good to you man. That is a great start. A buck comes next! I hope you enjoy the fat off that bear, and the smoked meat. If I don't seal the deal on a bear before the season is out, I might be asking you for some fat!
Great work man! You got some exercise for sure!!!

Luke0927

nice job are you using a pack with a frame? If so which one if you dont mind.

tree cutter 08

Use a Badlands 2200 I think. It's a good pack but almost too small, but for what I can reasonably carry it's good. It rides real good.

Rabun

Yes he was male.
No telling what the actual population is. Been a lot of bears killed this year so that's good. Ive seen way more than normal this year. Seen a bear for every deer I've seen in the big woods.

Come to think of it...I've seen one bear and no deer this year while on stand. Shoulda had that bear...still kicking myself. Maybe that 400 lb'er will stroll by you next...or a nice mountain buck.

Congrats TreeCutter!