Chestnut tree questions

bevills1

Has anyone bought chestnut trees from https://www.burntridgenursery.com/Chestnut-Trees/products/53/2/0 , and did you have a good buying experience if you bought from them? They have a 4.2 stars out of 5 star rating according to Google search I did. Also what's the difference between seedlings and grafted trees, and is one type better than the other? The site has seedlings and grafted trees for some of the trees they sell. Has anybody planted either the Chinese or Japanese chestnuts, and which of those 2 do you think is better?

livetohunt

I have been told that the expensive chestnuts(dunstan) everyone is buying is the exact same thing as the cheaper Chinese chestnut.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have been told that the expensive chestnuts(dunstan) everyone is buying is the exact same thing as the cheaper Chinese chestnut.
No, it isn't. Trust me. The Dunstan is a hybrid between the Chinese and American chestnuts. Much better tree than the Chinese, IMO.

livetohunt

No, it isn't. Trust me. The Dunstan is a hybrid between the Chinese and American chestnuts. Much better tree than the Chinese, IMO.
Just relaying what I have heard from experts in the hunting industry. I'm not an expert by any means on it. They tell you Dunstan is a hybrid but I have heard it is mostly the Chinese version.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just relaying what I have heard from experts in the hunting industry. I'm not an expert by any means on it. They tell you Dunstan is a hybrid but I have heard it is mostly the Chinese version.
Well, I'm telling you from the perspective of a horticulturist by trade and formal education, former nurseryman, certified professional plantsman, and someone who has spent over four decades, in the industry of growing, maintaining and studying trees and plants. It is not the same as a Chinese chestnut. There are very noticeable differences in growth habit, longevity, fruit quality, and production. It is considerably superior to the Chinese chestnuts. I've grown plenty of both.

Believe whoever you want to, doesn't matter to me. Having a tv hunting show doesn't immediately give you in depth knowledge of trees, though.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I think I read somewhere that the Dunstan is somewhere around 3% Chineese?

I might be wrong, but that number sticks in my head

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think I read somewhere that the Dunstan is somewhere around 3% Chineese?

I might be wrong, but that number sticks in my head
I'd say a lot more Chinese genes than that. I think you're thinking about the backcrossed American chestnuts from the American Chestnut Foundation.

livetohunt

I'd say a lot more Chinese genes than that. I think you're thinking about the backcrossed American chestnuts from the American Chestnut Foundation.
Go to youtube and search for "three most overrated trees for whitetails" Don Higgins talks about it recently. Over the years I have heard others say the same thing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Go to youtube and search for "three most overrated trees for whitetails" Don Higgins talks about it recently. Over the years I have heard others say the same thing.
Dude, I don't get my info about trees from some bubba deer hunter on Youtube. I am not discussing this further, it's fine if you believe the man who films tv shows and sells products for a living over someone who works with trees for a living. You have a nice day. :cheers:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Pappy,
Are the deer hitting them?

I know where 3 trees are. The pigs wear them out for about 2 weeks. Never seen any evidence the deer are interested.

I have know idea which variety they are.

Buckman18

To Hillbilly's point, Dunstan chestnuts even taste a lot better than Chinese. Like the difference between Krispy Kreme when the 'hot and fresh' light is on vs Walmart donuts marked down the day before they expire.

Roast some yourself, and you'll be able to see for yourself.

Buckman18

Pappy,

I know where 3 trees are. The pigs wear them out for about 2 weeks. Never seen any evidence the deer are interested.

I know where some easy to find trees are on Russell and Chattahoochee, and I've never seen deer on them either. Squirrel's and hog rooting, though.

Legend has it that deer will walk through white oaks to eat chestnuts, but ive not personally seen that?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Pappy,

if they can beat the sqwerls to them. Those sqwerls play the devil with those chestnuts. The only thing that slows the sqwerls down is the burr the nuts are inside of. And it won't slow them down for long

weagle

I happened across some Dunston Chestnut trees at Walmart 7 years ago on clearance. They looked pretty rough, but they were dirt cheap ($12.50) , so I bought 6 and planted them in an open field. 2 died almost right away, but the other 4 have taken off and are putting out a good crop.

0psUaiw.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Forest Service planted a few here on the Pisgah NF. The deer tear the chestnuts up.

glynr329

I have about 8 or so producing and probably 10 to 12 hope will be soon. I have no idea how the deer eat the nuts inside the outer prickly shell but I guess they do.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Legend has it that deer will walk through white oaks to eat chestnuts, but ive not personally seen that?

It's not legend. I've watched it happen. White oaks on one side of my driveway, chestnuts on the other. Deer walk past my garden, past the white oak acorns on the ground to pick through what's left of the chestnuts.

I think under normal weather circumstances, the chestnuts start dropping before any other hard mast. I used to wear the deer out on a couple chestnut trees the opening week of bow season.