Chicken coop and run

Name the Chicken coop!

• Cluckingham Palace

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Coopdevillle

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

longbowdave1

They said within 3 weeks when I picked them up on the farm. Nothing better than fresh eggs.

longbowdave1

Did some research. It said they are good for them but feed sparingly.

longbowdave1

I know egg production goes down each year. How many years do you keep your hens for laying?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Dave I’ve always kept mine until they die , I know it’s a waste of feed but that’s just what I do , I’ve got one that’s about 5-6 years old now that lays a egg ever now and then , I try to get a few new ones every couple years , just to keep some good layers . Most of the ones I’ve had lay good for 3-4 years then egg production starts dropping off

longbowdave1

Dave I’ve always kept mine until they die , I know it’s a waste of feed but that’s just what I do , I’ve got one that’s about 5-6 years old now that lays a egg ever now and then , I try to get a few new ones every couple years , just to keep some good layers . Most of the ones I’ve had lay good for 3-4 years then egg production starts dropping off
I can see getting attached to the little buggers. Let the have an enjoyable life. The hens are getting somewhat used to me bothering them now. The largest one of the batch seems to be the boss hen. The light colored one, is quite a character, likes to roost in the run.

longbowdave1

A little update on the chickens. I have modified things a bit, as I learn more about what works best for the chickens. Made the dusting box larger, changed the roosting poles some, and eliminated my rainwater system. The rainwater was turning green long before they used it. Just using my well water. Also changed the drinking cups to the No-Peck style, they seem to like them much better.

The big news is, I got my very first egg this morning. I was expecting some soon, but I was very surprised when I checked the nesting boxes this morning. The chickens are adapting real well to their new home. They are getting used to all the noises and sounds around them. They also are getting to understand that I am their caretaker, and show less fear, and quite a lot of interest when ever I visit them in the run. I'm very glad That I took the plunge and got some chickens. They are a lot of work, but I enjoy it.

My dog Riley is a hoot with the chickens. She walks around the run and watches them do their thing. The chicken show less fear of her, and will peck her nose if she gets close to the chicken wire. I tell her,"Lets go see the chickens.", and she runs to the pen wagging her tail.