Chicken Mull or Muddle?

Artfuldodger

I've seen it mentioned on the forum and just saw it being served at some BBQ joints in Georgia as well as other states. They have a Chicken Mull Festival in Bear Grass, NC.

So its some type of mush using saltines. I had mention that my Mom used to make a variation of this mull using canned salmon.

I don't even like chili with crumbled saltines in it. If one likes chili mush you may like Chicken Mull. I don't recommend the Salmon variation,lol.

Artfuldodger

Chicken mull is a traditional dish from North Carolina, upstate South Carolina and Georgia. It is a type of stew consisting of parboiled whole chicken in a cream or milk based broth, butter and seasoned with salt, pepper and other ingredients.

Seems like a milk based broth would be better than just chicken broth.

K80Shooter

I've never had any chicken mull but I do like a good chicken stew.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You lost me at "mush." And "boiled." :)

Artfuldodger

My niece lives near Athens told be earlier that Churches do it for fundraising. I also read the social event itself was called chicken mulls.

It used to be popular from Alabama to North Carolina but only survived in pockets like Athens, Ga. and a few in North Carolina.

ditchdoc24

Near me it's called chicken stew but basically the same thing. I got introduced to it by a coworker in 2009 and it's become a go-to meal for my family. I add some vegetables (carrots, onions and celery) but it's otherwise the same. I've cooked it in the crock pot or on the stove and it comes out great every time.

280bst

Commerce Ga. FFA having a big un today sure they will have 800 to 1000 qts. East Jackson had one couple months ago think they sold @ 700 qts. I always get 7 or 8 then freeze when it cools. Hey NC Hillbilly it ain't mush it's goooood :giggle:

pop pop jones

Near me it's called chicken stew but basically the same thing. I got introduced to it by a coworker in 2009 and it's become a go-to meal for my family. I add some vegetables (carrots, onions and celery) but it's otherwise the same. I've cooked it in the crock pot or on the stove and it comes out great every time.
My mom and dad called it chicken stew , I call it chicken stew, and my kids call it chicken stew. My grand kids all it nasty. They ain't near as smart as their mothers and Daddy's. It is what your families called it, but for sure no matter what you call it, it's wonderful on a cold windy night for supper.

Artfuldodger

I guess the strange thing to me or the difference is the crumbled up saltines as one of the main ingredients of this Chicken Stew. I've seen many, many people add crumbled saltines to stews and chili, but not many recipes have it listed as a main ingredient to making it.

Dr. Strangelove

I live in Athens and I'm from Western NC, I've only tried this"Chicken Mull" stuff a time or two. Can't say I care for it, or maybe I got a bad batch or two.

ditchdoc24

I guess the strange thing to me or the difference is the crumbled up saltines as one of the main ingredients of this Chicken Stew. I've seen many, many people add crumbled saltines to stews and chili, but not many recipes have it listed as a main ingredient to making it.

Yeah the crumbled saltines are pretty much a requirement to get the desired product. I won't make chicken stew without having at least a full box of crackers to go with it. I haven't found any better meal for a cold, wet, windy, nasty day.

Sterlo58

Haven't had chicken mull for a long time. I remember it being pretty good on a cold winter day but I probably would have a different opinion now that I have been cutting out carbs. all those saltines would put me into a carb seizure :ROFLMAO:

pop pop jones

If you didn't include the salted crackers, you'd have a milky chicken soup, it would still be good, but it's better when you thicken it up with crackers.