Chicken of the woods

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. That's the cincinnatus species, the best one. Enjoy. The outside edges will be the best, and it will be tougher toward the center. Use it any way you would use any mushroom.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I wish I could find one more so I could try the deep frying and rolling in Buffalo sauce recipe.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't even found one here this year, they're usually common. It's been a very strange year for mushrooms here, almost none of any kind.

Make sure you fully cook or it will screw you up. A small percentage of people will have stomach issues as well. Could always eat a small piece and wait for about 10 min.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you fully cook or it will screw you up. A small percentage of people will have stomach issues as well. Could always eat a small piece and wait for about 10 min.
Not as much with that species. The sulfur shelf, yes. Most of that comes from folks eating them growing on conifers. I only eat them off hardwoods. Never saw a cincinnatus growing on anything besides an oak root.

But yes, you should never eat any mushroom raw, even the grocery store ones. Morels are poisonous raw.

EyesUp83

I'm keeping an eye out for these, but have never cooked them as this is somthing new to me. How do you know when its properly cooked?

Bowyer29

Not as much with that species. The sulfur shelf, yes. Most of that comes from folks eating them growing on conifers. I only eat them off hardwoods. Never saw a cincinnatus growing on anything besides an oak root.

But yes, you should never eat any mushroom raw, even the grocery store ones. Morels are poisonous raw.
Man! I eat the baby portobellos raw all the time!:oops:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man! I eat the baby portobellos raw all the time!:oops:
They're not toxic, but pretty much indigestible. Several people have gotten really sick from eating raw morels.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Even cooked morels with alcohol. Fun times.
If cooked morels with alcohol would get you, I'd have been long dead. I've heard that it is much more prevalent with black morels. So, I just don't eat black morels. :)

If cooked morels with alcohol would get you, I'd have been long dead. I've heard that it is much more prevalent with black morels. So, I just don't eat black morels. :)

I find about 100lbs a year, and 60 of those lbs are black/grey morels variety. I also get sick from alcohol easily; can't handle it well at all. Two drinks, and I'm puking.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't that something? I never knew.
I must have guts of steel; they never bother me.
I learn something new every single day.
I've eaten a lot of them too at salad bars and such. Never knew it either until I read it in several mushroom books.

Geno67

The mushrooms here have been way more than usual. Much rainier so it stand to reason. I got almost 5 pounds of chanterelles from a tiny little residential yard.

earlthegoat2

Are these them??

I think this is armillaria tree root rot. These are by a Live Oak stump.

675825D7-0368-4143-BA5D-19192DDC646B.jpeg