Chicken question ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Never had to kill one yet. We have pine shavings and give them oyster shells. If some start eating the eggs, we check the eggs more often and then they seem to stop. :)
I put pine shavings in boxes this morning

antharper

Staff member
Keep the cubbies full of fresh pine shavings. That helps some. Best thing to do is turn that egg eater into dumplins.
Haven’t ate her yet , added the pine shavings and put ceramic eggs in each box and haven’t had near as many busted . Thanks . Only downside to the ceramic eggs is I’ll probably kill every oak snake around and I don’t want to do that

longbowdave1

I have been having trouble with an egg eater lately also. Going to try a few things to curb it. Have any of you tried the rollaway nest boxes where the eggs roll under a board to protect them from getting eaten.

Last edited:

antharper

Staff member
I have been having trouble with an egg eater lately also. Going to try a few things to curb it. Have any of you tried the rollaway nest boxes where the eggs roll under a board to protect them from getting eaten.
No but I bet you can build a mighty nice one that works perfect .

longbowdave1

Material list:
3 paint trays
Green astro turf
1 board
3 bricks
Spray adhesive
Rubber roofing

longbowdave1

Update for @anthrper . Ok Ant, I'm modifying a design by other chicken wranglers. The box is made with a paint tray for a 9 inch roller, lined with green turf. Turf is glued in with poly gorilla glue so that the hens can't kick it out of place. A 1x6 board is set on the well of the paint tray, weighted with a paver, glued down with poly gorilla glue again. I did add some carpet spacers to the underside of the boards to allow more egg rolling clearance. I stapled on strips of bicycle tubes to the front edge of board, to allow the eggs to roll back, and be concealed. I may replace the paver weight with scrap plate steel, if the bricks are in the hens way of nesting. The paint trays can be taken out and hosed off to wash them, as needed.

My hens are usually done laying by noon. I'll kick the hens out of the coop and swap out the boxes later this morning. Wish me luck. I played around last week, but had issues. The hens move the non weighted boards to get at the eggs. Hence, the weights and a rubber egg curtain. My hens dont like change after 2 years in the current set up. Just by luck, the paint tray fit in my exsisting nest box locations, so I can always go back to the plain boxes if it's time to go back to the drawing board.....

20220401_065423.jpg20220401_065316.jpg20220401_065227.jpg20220401_072858.jpg

Last edited:

longbowdave1

Well, hot dang! I just checked the coop, and I had two clean eggs under one of the boards. Also kicked two hens out of the nesting areas , maybe they were about to lay, or just trying to figure it out. I think we have a functioning rollaway box to combat the egg eater(s). I give more updates later. The eggs rolled all the way to the far end of the tray, protected by the board and the rubber egg curtain . April2nd an snowing hard right now.

20220402_110353.jpg

antharper

Staff member
That is mighty nice Dave ! I may have to give something like that a try , I’m pretty sure I’d have to do some red neck engineering but can for sure use some of your tips . Thanks

longbowdave1

I got another good egg just now. The egg eater was pacing back and forth trying to figure out the where abouts of the eggs. Kinda like when you know you did your duty but the bowl is empty feeling. Lol

Last edited:

longbowdave1

Got more eggs today in the new boxes. A side benefit is that the eggs roll out of site and stay much cleaner as well. Tomorrow will be the good test, i wont get home intil 4pm to fetch eggs. The egg eating started when they had to sit all day.