Choke for Squirrel

dadsbuckshot

Question regarding best choke for squirrel:

Set-up is a 20 gauge Remington 870 Express Magnum with interchangable chokes. I have all the chokes made for this gun, but I have heard different opinions on what choke and shot sizes to use.

Some folks say Mod. Choke with #6 shot, others say that #6 is too much shot and that the Mod. spreads out too much and will damage too much meat.

The others say use full choke with #4 shot and aim for the front of the body (head area) and that way too much meat will not be lost.

I see advantages to both - full choke seems like longer shots are possible - possibly up to 40 yards at best.

However, I have always hunted with a single shot Stevens 20ga Mod. Choke with #6 - no problems (just pellets in meat at times).

:type: with all this being said - what would you use? :huh:

Jarred

I have a 870 express super magnum 12 gauge, I would just use a turkey tube and number 4 shot and aim for the head.

Mr. Fishunt

Squirrel Choke

#6 modified choke.
You will also be prepared if you see a rabbit.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

vol man

I would not recommend using the standard choke you see on professional wrestling (wrapping the joint of the arm around the neck and then squeezing the head toward your torso). Squirrels are small and they may slip through your arms. I would advise choking them with your hands only. Your thumb and forefinger are probably the preferred method.

Good luck - it sounds like fun! But it would probably be easier just to stomp on them instead of choking them.

dadsbuckshot

I would not recommend using the standard choke you see on professional wrestling (wrapping the joint of the arm around the neck and then squeezing the head toward your torso). Squirrels are small and they may slip through your arms. I would advise choking them with your hands only. Your thumb and forefinger are probably the preferred method.

Good luck - it sounds like fun! But it would probably be easier just to stomp on them instead of choking them.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: FUNNY!! I SHOULD SAY CHOKE TUBE.. :bounce:

BowHunter89

I don't think it matters what choke you use you are still going to get shot in the entire squirrel past 30yds even if you aim for the head. The meat damage is a myth I think...

R G

Tennessee Ernie Ford had it right about the choke, "A 16 guage shotgun chocked down like a rifle."

As far as shot size don't go any larger than #6. #4s and #5s push hair into the meat.

dadsbuckshot

I am thinking that a full choke would keep a tighter pattern for higher shots upwards (trees). So I am probably going with the full choke.

Some folks are saying too to go with #4 shot others say #6. Should I just split the difference and shoot #5 shot?

BigBushClub

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are, that's funny!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

R

redneckcamo

in my 20 gauge I use #6 an #7 1/2 with a modified choke an if they are a bit farther I shoot em with the left hand barrel /full choke ;-)............. I also carry the cheap :shoot:#9 skeet load in a different pocket fer shootin a nest er 2 so as too get some possums out them squirrel nestes fer granny an maybe a squirrel ull runnout too :bounce::bounce:

dadsbuckshot

I wish I had a double then I could have two choke in one, but with my pump I have to make a game day decision on one choke. I do like the idea for the #9 shot.

Where I hunt I also have coyotes so if I jumped one of those I figured a full choke with #4 shot would be my best bet...???

All opinions welcome

dadsbuckshot

But then again there are also rabbits where I will be hunting, so I have to decide on a one in all choke and load for squirrel, rabbit and possibly coyotes.

???????????????????? SO MANY QUESTIONS ???????????????????

Also, when you go on a small game WMA hunt are you required to sign in? I know you don't have to wear orange unless your big game hunting, but not sure about signing in etc...

stiletto

Just not to sure if #6 or #4 would kill a coyote.

Larger shot will hold its velocity better for you at long range than smaller shot. So if you plan on many 40 yard squirrel shots, you might want to go with 4s. Most folk I know use 6s for squirrels.

Personally I would not mess with going after coyotes if I were walking around with a 20 gauge loaded up for squirrel, as I would want some degree of confidence that I could take the critter cleanly. I've got a 12 gauge with #2 shot instead for yotes, and even then I wish I could use #4 buck or #1 buck on WMAs. But that is just me.

I've never signed in for small game hunts.

dadsbuckshot

Larger shot will hold its velocity better for you at long range than smaller shot. So if you plan on many 40 yard squirrel shots, you might want to go with 4s. Most folk I know use 6s for squirrels.

Personally I would not mess with going after coyotes if I were walking around with a 20 gauge loaded up for squirrel, as I would want some degree of confidence that I could take the critter cleanly. I've got a 12 gauge with #2 shot instead for yotes, and even then I wish I could use #4 buck or #1 buck on WMAs. But that is just me.

I've never signed in for small game hunts.

Thanks for the help. I decided to buy some Hevi-Shot for coyotes that I see during small game hunts. Since you can use Shot no larger than #2 - well I bought Hevi Shot #2. This should do the trick on the dogs. :shoot: