Choke for Squirrel

stiletto

Thanks for the help. I decided to buy some Hevi-Shot for coyotes that I see during small game hunts. Since you can use Shot no larger than #2 - well I bought Hevi Shot #2. This should do the trick on the dogs. :shoot:

Yeah, I went with the Remington 3" buffered Nitro Mags in #2. I wanted to pattern the 870 at the range with them and both my extra full and super full chokes before carrying in the field, and a box of 25 was the same price as 10 HeviShots.

ChiefStu

My grandfather used a modified choke on his Model 12 and always did well with #6 shot 2 3/4 shells. He brought me up shooting a .410, which I was good with and now I shoot a .22 with a scope and go for the head shot. A challenge and no lead shot in the Squirrel.

dadsbuckshot

Yeah, I went with the Remington 3" buffered Nitro Mags in #2. I wanted to pattern the 870 at the range with them and both my extra full and super full chokes before carrying in the field, and a box of 25 was the same price as 10 HeviShots.

Thanks for info I will give them a try.

dadsbuckshot

My grandfather used a modified choke on his Model 12 and always did well with #6 shot 2 3/4 shells. He brought me up shooting a .410, which I was good with and now I shoot a .22 with a scope and go for the head shot. A challenge and no lead shot in the Squirrel.

I always hunt with a .22lr for small game. However, this weekend I could only use my shotgun because I bought a new Browning Buckmark .22 Rifle with scope last year, and have yet to sight it in.

So I only had the good ol' 20 gauge in the safe to take my buddy hunting with. I wish I had my buckmark though cause of the up and down ridge walking a lighter firearm would have been more easy to carry... :bounce:

gth813x

full choke 2 3/4 #4 or #6, we use #4 and it works fine. I like to stretch out how far my gun can go so i usually only get about 4-6 pieces of shot in em if that. OCCASIONALY have to run em down and beat em but foods, food.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Old thread but a good one.

I shoot a 20GA SxS. I use IC on the right barrel and MOD on the left barrel. If they are close I pull the front trigger (IC / right barrel). Further away I pull the rear trigger (MOD/ left barrel). Works great. I prefer #6 or #5 shot in a 20GA.

Mattval

Question regarding best choke for squirrel:

Set-up is a 20 gauge Remington 870 Express Magnum with interchangable chokes. I have all the chokes made for this gun, but I have heard different opinions on what choke and shot sizes to use.

Some folks say Mod. Choke with #6 shot, others say that #6 is too much shot and that the Mod. spreads out too much and will damage too much meat.

The others say use full choke with #4 shot and aim for the front of the body (head area) and that way too much meat will not be lost.

I see advantages to both - full choke seems like longer shots are possible - possibly up to 40 yards at best.

However, I have always hunted with a single shot Stevens 20ga Mod. Choke with #6 - no problems (just pellets in meat at times).

:type: with all this being said - what would you use? :huh:
I think this year I will go with 20 ga and #6 shot. The kids will use a 410. But what size shot in 410? #6's or #4's?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Choke for Squirrel

Foot or knee to the back two handed choke from the rear.
Did I tell y'all that I hate skwrrls.

Buckman18

My Dad and Grandpa would make fun of me when I asked about squirrel hunting with a shotgun. When I was 9, My grandpa bought me an old model 67 with iron sights, and made me shoot them in the head. This gun has killed literally over 1,000 squirrel's since about 1989, and who knows how many before it was mine! Its my most prized earthly possession.

As far as shotgunning for squirrel's, if I had a 410 or 28, I'd go full with #6's. All other gauges I'd go mod with #4's. All itd take is one of two #4's and your squirrel wouldn't be shot up too bad. Good luck, squirrel hunting is an absolute blast and they are great to eat as long as prep is right. They are the "Chicken of the Trees!"
20201108_213552.jpg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Late season I try to get in two or three river floats for squirrel and ducks. Use a twenty gauge o/u with a modified choke. I use #4 steel shot.

Doug B.

My Dad and Grandpa would make fun of me when I asked about squirrel hunting with a shotgun. When I was 9, My grandpa bought me an old model 67 with iron sights, and made me shoot them in the head. This gun has killed literally over 1,000 squirrel's since about 1989, and who knows how many before it was mine! Its my most prized earthly possession.
View attachment 1048859
That was my first gun given to me from my dad about 1974. His dad give it to him when he was about the same age I was. It has literally killed 1000's of squirrels. I still have it and it still shoots as good as it ever did. I have always loved this rifle.

Hillbilly stalker

Funny y’all should mention that. I have one I bought off a guy 10-12 years ago for $25. My eyes didn’t need reading glasses then and I could shoot the fire out of that thing. My buddy can still shoot it when I let him.:bounce: . I don’t know what year they were made because it was before serial numbers, no sight rail and not drilled and tapped for a scope. But they are great shooting rifles, long, long rifle or shorts.6A546B0D-FB84-4020-B0D1-F25E9F77CA54.jpeg

CroMagnum

I would not recommend using the standard choke you see on professional wrestling (wrapping the joint of the arm around the neck and then squeezing the head toward your torso). Squirrels are small and they may slip through your arms. I would advise choking them with your hands only. Your thumb and forefinger are probably the preferred method.

Good luck - it sounds like fun! But it would probably be easier just to stomp on them instead of choking them.
:ROFLMAO:... It took me a minute but I finally got it... hilarious ???

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Funny y’all should mention that. I have one I bought off a guy 10-12 years ago for $25. My eyes didn’t need reading glasses then and I could shoot the fire out of that thing. My buddy can still shoot it when I let him.:bounce: . I don’t know what year they were made because it was before serial numbers, no sight rail and not drilled and tapped for a scope. But they are great shooting rifles, long, long rifle or shorts.View attachment 1048924
I worked in an small local slaughter house during my teenage years. Use that exact rifle to shoot the cows and hogs we processed. The gun looked wore out when I started work there and my father bought the business and was still using that rifle when he sold the business twenty years later. That gun put down thousands of cows and hogs in that place using nothing but shorts.