Choke for turkeys

earlthegoat2

Whichever one patterns the best. Might be a Comp-n-Choke or it might be the one in your gun right now you just used for quail.

You have to shoot it to really know.

That said, a full or aftermarket extra full from Kicks, Comp-n-Choke, etc will usually net good results.

Buckman18

I tend to go with Kicks. Their website has a guide to which size choke you should buy for the size/type shot you want to shoot. This helps narrow the trial and error cost down.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The factory full choke maybe all u need.
Also what kind of shot u use has to do with the choke. Lead verses TSS

Up until about 12 years or so ago I just used a regular full choke and high brass #6 shot. Never had a problem with them killing a turkey. I do limit myself to 35 yards though.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Up until about 12 years or so ago I just used a regular full choke and high brass #6 shot. Never had a problem with them killing a turkey. I do limit myself to 35 yards though.
Back in our younger days before the outdoor channel. That’s all we had to choose from. My shotgun was a double barrel 20. The chokes for it was modified and improved! I used it for deer turkey small game. In the mid 80tys I got the 12 rem. 870 with a 30”barrel full choke barrel.
We didn’t know what a turkey load was. I used #6 as well. Tried to find 3”. Most the time it was 2 3/4 shells.
Most had like squirrels & pheasants as used for. :)

Hillbilly stalker

If you wanna save time, money and a sore shoulder…… visit “Old Gobblers” forum. It’s a turkey hunting site and someone has already matched your gun- choke- shell for best performance most likely. They even post their patterns. It based on factual results. All guns pattern different, but that’s the best starting point.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Back in our younger days before the outdoor channel. That’s all we had to choose from. My shotgun was a double barrel 20. The chokes for it was modified and improved! I used it for deer turkey small game. In the mid 80tys I got the 12 rem. 870 with a 30”barrel full choke barrel.
We didn’t know what a turkey load was. I used #6 as well. Tried to find 3”. Most the time it was 2 3/4 shells.
Most had like squirrels & pheasants as used for. :)
I had my fixed full choke 1200 drilled to fit colonial chokes to offer some more pattern options with the old gun. That worked until TSS came along. Had to order a choke built for the harder shot, ended up my go to Turkey gun. As my eyes have got worse added a rail and scope. Sold the 12 gauge Benelli, no need for a 12 these days.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I started out with my Granddaddy`s old single barrel, went to own single barrel, then a Model 12, then an 870, then a GunDocc Special single barrel.

In the real early days it was whatever shells you could find. I killed several turkeys with #8s. Remember though, I`d let em get close.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I had my fixed full choke 1200 drilled to fit colonial chokes to offer some more pattern options with the old gun. That worked until TSS came along. Had to order a choke built for the harder shot, ended up my go to Turkey gun. As my eyes have got worse added a rail and scope. Sold the 12 gauge Benelli, no need for a 12 these days.
That 870 was rejuvenated after the TSS came out. I also have a 3 1/2 870. That thing is the beast. I got a stoger 3”.
Got the 410 301 stevens. Plus there’s. Like a Weatherby 20 OU.
I use the 3 1/2 a lot. TSS open field. #6 longboards in the woods.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I started out with my Granddaddy`s old single barrel, went to own single barrel, then a Model 12, then an 870, then a GunDocc Special single barrel.

In the real early days it was whatever shells you could find. I killed several turkeys with #8s. Remember though, I`d let em get close.
I have to. Old days. 8s side tge head. 20 to 25 yds.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That 870 was rejuvenated after the TSS came out. I also have a 3 1/2 870. That thing is the beast. I got a stoger 3”.
Got the 410 301 stevens. Plus there’s. Like a Weatherby 20 OU.
I use the 3 1/2 a lot. TSS open field. #6 longboards in the woods.
I have the Yildiz .410 O/U with a Sumtoy choke in the top barrell. It patterns great with TSS out to 40 yds.

Hillbilly is right, Old Gobbler has a bunch of knowledge on file. Save one a bunch of time experimenting.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve got and tried several different ones . Bought a Carlson’s LB a few seasons ago and it’s just to tight for me . Went back to my truglo

B. White

I thought about this when folks were talking about turkey loads being hard to find the past couple of years. I bought a Lee Load-all when I was a teenager and loaded high brass #6 and never thought about it being a dedicated turkey load, just something that patterned good. Later I went to a single shot 10 ga that I will probably sell this year. I'm back to carrying the 12 with 2 3/4 loads.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Factory full and #6s, 12 and 20 gauge.