Choke for turkeys

Stevie Ray

If you wanna save time, money and a sore shoulder…… visit “Old Gobblers” forum. It’s a turkey hunting site and someone has already matched your gun- choke- shell for best performance most likely. They even post their patterns. It based on factual results. All guns pattern different, but that’s the best starting point.

I'll second this advice.

GADAWGS

It would depend on what ammunition you plan to shoot. In my 12ga guns I shoot a Jebs .650 and a Rhino .660 with Hevi13 #6s, devastating combination. My 20ga I was shooting a Sumtoy .562-5 with TSS #9s and it was deadly. Switched over to a Trulock .585 this past season with no regrets

Sixes

Sumtoy.

Give them a call and they will let you know what is best for your gun and will normally send you a couple of different sizes to try out.

Buckman18

I started out with my Granddaddy`s old single barrel, went to own single barrel, then a Model 12, then an 870, then a GunDocc Special single barrel.

In the real early days it was whatever shells you could find. I killed several turkeys with #8s. Remember though, I`d let em get close.

Do you still have your granddaddy’s single barrel? What kind is it?

When my dad passed a couple years ago, I got his old single barrel model 370 12 gauge with a 30 or 32 inch barrel. I shot a couple of 3” turkey shells through it and it patterns good to 40. And it’ll cross your eyes too.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I had a Charles Daly 12 semi that I got for cheap for dove hunts, decided to try it for turkeys with the factory full choke and it was murder out to 40 yards with #6 Longbeards, could probably push it to 50 no problem.

Passed the gun down

Shooting now a 870 12 with a IC .650 or .655 I think, still with the #6 LB’s and it is a hammer to close to 50 yards, also tote a 301T with factory choke and TSS and it is a 50-60 yard gun easy but limit my self to 40 and under for both.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Do you still have your granddaddy’s single barrel? What kind is it?

When my dad passed a couple years ago, I got his old single barrel model 370 12 gauge with a 30 or 32 inch barrel. I shot a couple of 3” turkey shells through it and it patterns good to 40. And it’ll cross your eyes too.

It was an old Stevens.12 with a 30 inch barrel. I don't know what happened to that old guy. I killed my first turkey with it while sitting at his knee. I was a little bitty youngun. I do have his old homemade scratch box that called the bird up. It's over 100 years old now.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I've got a plain old Carlson's that is rated for any shot that does a good enough job for me in the top barrel of an O/U. Bottom one has a skeet tube, in case they try to peck at the front bead.

took me a few stubborn years to figure that but ah did then i finally started killin them close birds

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
When you start trying to turn a shotgun into a rifle to kill a turkey, they bee issues

DRBugman85

All shotguns shoot different,Try the factory chokes with different loads and see (on paper) what you have, If you don't shoot it you want know what you got. I tried (and spent a lots of money) on different shotgun shells to find the right load for my shotgun and the factory full with Longbeard 3inch # 6 did the deed

,zz

DRBugman85

All shotguns shoot different,Try the factory chokes with different loads and see (on paper) what you have, If you don't shoot it you want know what you got. I tried (and spent a lots of money) on different shotgun shells to find the right load for my shotgun and the factory full with Longbeard 3inch # 6 did the job. However I tried the Browning tss 7&9 3inch and it's unreal at 40 yards it's not cheap but its amazing what it does to a Gobbler at 35-40 yards. So spend the time to pattern what you have you mite be surprised...

On Remington pump I have never jellied a head like an Indian Creek will. Like Swamp rat said I also have a Charles Daly that is just as good with factory full choke.

Latest posts