Choke stick (pic heavy)

Doug B.

I was going to replace the cable in my choke stick and decided I would take some pictures and share them since it is homemade. It is a piece of 1/2" emt conduit that is four feet long. I took a piece of 1/8" cable that is 4' long and attached it to a piece of chain.
20210918_161712.jpg
I slid the other end of the cable through the conduit. I have a hole drill in the conduit next to the end for the end of the cable to go through.
20210918_161815.jpg
20210918_161923.jpg
I then crimped a stop button on that end of the cable.
20210918_162238.jpg
The chain comes out the other end of the conduit and I have a small slot in the end of the conduit.
20210918_162307.jpg
The slot is there so when I get the loop tight around a critters neck I can put the chain in the slot to hold it while I work on getting out of the trap.
20210918_162332.jpg
20210918_162357.jpg
The other end of the chain I have taped to the conduit so it don't constantly slide back out of the conduit when I don't want it to.
20210918_162450.jpg
It works for me and I have released a few critters with it. Feel free to post pictures of your catch pole. Especially homemade ones!

Attachments

• 20210918_162450.jpg
    20210918_162450.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Mine wound up being near identical to yours, Doug. I poked the bottom of my loop thru the pipe at a right angle is about the only diff...

I didn't do the chain thing, but I am GON to...;)

Doug B.

Mine wound up being near identical to yours, Doug. I poked the bottom of my loop thru the pipe at a right angle is about the only diff...

I didn't do the chain thing, but I am GON to...;)
I like the chain cause I can lock it in the slot. That way instead of trying to think of about 300 things at one time when I got a critter caught with it, I only have to try to keep about 100 things in my mind at one time!

sleepr71

I think I used 3/4 EMT..maybe 1.0” 1/2” felt too flimsy..to me. I used coated 3/16 or 1/4 cable & a Clothesline tensioner. All in all..it’s same concept as yours,I just used all Cable & JB welded the clothesline tensioner into the end. Works well..although I have yet to release a critter with it. It will get put to the test this winter?

Doug B.

I think I used 3/4 EMT..maybe 1.0” 1/2” felt too flimsy..to me. I used coated 3/16 or 1/4 cable & a Clothesline tensioner. All in all..it’s same concept as yours,I just used all Cable & JB welded the clothesline tensioner into the end. Works well..although I have yet to release a critter with it. It will get put to the test this winter?
I have had this catch pole for many years. It has always been 1/2". It has held anything that I need to release. I hope nobody tells it that it is flimsy. I'll have to hire a new catch pole then.

Seriously though, unless you are releasing a timber wolf or a mountain lion or elephant or something like that 1/2" will hold whatever you hook it to. Thankfully we don't have any of those large critters here.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have always heard that "necessity" is the Mother of Invention and I think that you designed it just perfectly also. Thanks for sharing this fairly inexpensive way to take care of business.