Chronograph problems

deerslayer357

So I went in with some friends and got a labradar chrono. Took it out today and shot some reloads over it just to get a feel for how fast they were going.

45 acp 200 grain XTP’s were averaging 882 with extreme spread of 33.

41 magnum xtp’s were averaging 1120 with extreme spread of 102.

41 magnum wfn’s were averaging 1129 with extreme spread of 40.

40 s&w 180 jhp‘s were averaging 890 with extreme spread of 35

But then I couldn’t get the 10mm to read. Fired 25-30 rounds and only got one reading. Tried adjusting aim of radar, tried adjusting hold of pistol, just couldn’t figure it out.

Any suggestions or feedback?
The extreme spread of the 41 xtp’s surprised me, but they were loaded with longshot which is a larger flake powder so I bet that is part of the problem

Darkhorse

A call to the manufacturer may be in order here.

Years ago I also went in with a couple of friends and bought a chrono. Everything went smooth for a few months. Then one day the second owner called me and said the third owner had moved away and left no info about where to. He added that a few of his things seemed to have moved with him. My third of the chrono also moved with him. Along with a .54 caliber round ball mold. A 158 grain .38 mold. And a 158 grain w/gascheck mold and my melting pot and bullet sizer.
When someone asks me why I don't have a Chrono I just say it walked away.

Dub

10mm may be too much for even the excellent LabRadar.

May have to first let it warm up first with some 40S&W (10mm Lite).

I‘m joking, of course. Wish I knew how to help. Haven‘t had the pleasure of using one of those.

The only thing I have heard from owners was the initial setup is a bit tedious…but they work like no other afterwards.

Good luck. Hopefully their tech service can offer some suggestions on the phone.

trial&error

That particular brand I haven't experienced. Mine however when the light is'nt right even with the diffusers it doesn't work as well. Did you shoot anything after the 10mm?

deerslayer357

I stopped shooting 10 and shot the 40 with no problems. Went back to 10 and started right back having problems. Should note that the screw that holds base onto the radar was loose so it was getting bumped around each time I mashed a button on the screen (to swap series or change guns)

Reactions: Dub

deerslayer357

I plan to try it off of a bench instead of off the ground next time and will report back

Dub

I stopped shooting 10 and shot the 40 with no problems. Went back to 10 and started right back having problems. Should note that the screw that holds base onto the radar was loose so it was getting bumped around each time I mashed a button on the screen (to swap series or change guns)

:biggestshoot::rofl::fine::fine::fine:

deerslayer357

Sitting on ground propping elbows on knees with the chrono on a short stand.

I will try taking a step back and shooting past it to see if that helps any

bullgator

That particular brand I haven't experienced. Mine however when the light is'nt right even with the diffusers it doesn't work as well. Did you shoot anything after the 10mm?
Labradar doesn’t work off of the conventional chrono system needing light. It works off of a Doppler radar system which shouldn’t be light dependent or sensitive.

Ajohnson0587

Where is the muzzle in relation to the side of the unit? I try to keep the muzzle about 1” away from the side of the unit. Also how far away is the target from the Labradar? I get the best and most accurate results having the target 25 yards from the unit. Also buy a quality tripod to mount the unit.

deerslayer357

I varied from 6” to 10” from side of unit to try to get a reading with all pistols. Target was roughly 35 yards. The 10mm was the only one that wouldn’t pick up reliably. We bought the labradar tripod with it, but I realized when I finished shooting it had a screw to tighten the tripod attachment to the radar. Hopefully tightening this will remedy my problems. Hope to shoot some more on Sunday and will report back!

Kinda hoping that as I shot and moved radar it loosened and retightening will fix it

deerslayer357

So we put the labradar on its stand and then placed on a table. It took 10 rounds or so to get it reading but then it read every round for probably 50 rounds.
The 41 mag 210 xtp’s with 2400 were 1248 FPS. Longshot loaded on an electronic powder dispenser was much more consistent at 1120fps and extreme spread of 52. (6 rounds)

The 10mm 180 XTP surprised me from a 6” Springfield TRP I was averaging 1332FPS with extreme spread of 38 over 9 rounds. (Also loaded with longshot from the electronic dispenser).

I guess any loads that are loaded with longshot will be dispensed with the electronic dispenser from now on!