Cilantro: Delicious flavor enhancer or like eating a bar of soap?

cjones

I'm curious...

My wife loves cilantro. She would almost eat it by the handful. I never could understand how she could stand it because it has always tasted like sucking on a bar of soap (yeah yeah.. I had a couple of instances of potty mouth growing up, so yes, I know what soap tastes like).

A while back, I saw an article floating around where the way a person tastes cilantro is tied to the person's genetics. There is a gene that, if flipped one way, makes cilantro taste like soap. I guess I have that gene flipped to 'soap' mode.

How many folks here are in the "cilantro = soap" boat and how many like the stuff? I'm curious how much of a minority I am in based on how many recipes call for cilantro.

CJ

bassboy1

Both?

I think it tastes like soap when used too heavily, but also think it adds to the flavor when used together with other stuff.

But, it also seems to have changed a bit for me. A number of years back, I was firmly in 'soap' mode, but now am starting to like it, again, used together with other stuff.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
No soap here, but my friend's wife can't stand it. She loves everything I cook for them, except dishes that include it. Had to learn the hard way when, and when not to use it.

BG77

I have a lot growing outside beside my basil and tarragon. I can eat Cilantro raw and often do

Geffellz18

For me, it depends on how it’s used and the quantity used. Like it in salsa and on some Hispanic dishes.
In other styles of cuisine I don’t care for it so much or if it’s way over used.

Loooove it in the del taco chicken al carbon tacos. Love those things and they’re only $1-$1.19 depending on the location. Could eat a truck load of those things.

BG77

Y’all should try it in eggs, cooked over chicken breast and other proteins. Been experimenting last couple years. Amazing the difference fresh herbs can make!

Lindseys Grandpa

I like it in moderation. Some times people get carried away with it and it can overpower the dish. I dont like tasting it a hour after eating.

Longhorn 16

Not a fan. If a Mexican restaurant has cilantro in their salsa I am out. Some people love the stuff and that is fine. I am just not one that likes cilantro.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
For me, it depends on how it’s used and the quantity used. Like it in salsa and on some Hispanic dishes.
In other styles of cuisine I don’t care for it so much or if it’s way over used.

Loooove it in the del taco chicken al carbon tacos. Love those things and they’re only $1-$1.19 depending on the location. Could eat a truck load of those things.
when I brine chickens before I smoke them, I put cilantro in the brine. It gives a nice hint of flavor to the meat.

DannyW

I like it...no one else in the family does.

Here is a tip. It comes in a big bunch and usually you only need a pinch or two. The rest of the bunch goes bad after a few days. Rinse the bunch and spread it out to dry. Then mince it up, put it in a plastic bag and store it in the freezer.

Use it as needed. It will stay fresh tasting for 2-3 months,