Classic Hot Rods

So how crazy would it be to decide on the engine you want, getting it setp and done then finding a roller vehicle to install it in afterwards?

I did a similar thing about 14 yrs ago. I was convinced that a 20-30k car(then) restored was what I NEEDED. I started searching Road Runners, AMXs, Camaros, Mustangs and others I'd owned b4. Then I started looking at the newer stuff that was also pretty nice. Thought about repairs to a car that was not TOTALLY documented for parts replacements when I got it.

I went with new. A Mustang GT that was a ton of fun to drive and NEVER gave me a single minute's problem, though I had warranty if it did. It was our 4th car (for two people) when I bought it new, and was still the 3rd when I sold it 5 yrs later.

If I had 50-60K to play with today (well, if I was willing to go there!) I'd buy a 55-71 fully restored car with NEW drivetrain someone wanted to get rid of AND a used late model Mustang, Camaro, Challenger or Corvette to drive all the time.

My wife knew I could never have too many cars...she wasn't happy. She's fine with lots of guns...instead. :bounce:

Worley

I’m confused I thought u were building a vintage Jon boat with a jet engine to net goldfish for catfish jugging...sorry to hi jack ya post ?

sinclair1

You can buy them at 25-40% cost to build, but you didn't build it which is half the fun.
Having to say I bought it that way would ruin it for me when it comes to a vintage muscle car.

Cars are like real estate, buy low sell high. I would wait on a better market to buy a serious priced car, if you are considering it a investment, as they are the first to bottom out in a downturn.

We are one crash away from 30k restored 69 camaros

j_seph

I’m confused I thought u were building a vintage Jon boat with a jet engine to net goldfish for catfish jugging...sorry to hi jack ya post ?
Built it wrecked dumped all my goldfish I'd caught into the hooch had to paddle back with an orange life jacket on. Check one off bucket list

95g atl

buy one done the way you like it.

Restoring is 9/10 times MORE MORE MORE $$$$ than buying one already done.

Plus it is a royal pain doing a restoration, not to mention TIME consuming.

Capt Quirk

buy one done the way you like it.

Restoring is 9/10 times MORE MORE MORE $$$$ than buying one already done.

Plus it is a royal pain doing a restoration, not to mention TIME consuming.
No more time consuming, than finding stupid mistakes, one after the other. Not saying I bought a lemon, but suddenly that CountryTime bumper sticker is starting to make me wonder...

zedex

Gator Bait
I've had a number of old cars, my favorite being a 68 Barracuda I bought from the original owner. It didnt need anything. Was a daily driver.

Later, I got a 66 383 charger. A daily driver but had rust issues. I worked a lot of hours so the work needed on the car was out running me. Sold it.

What I'm thinking to do next is get an older, light body import and throwing a big block in it.. imagine a 80s celica with a 460 or an X-1/9 with a 340 six pack...

j_seph

I've had a number of old cars, my favorite being a 68 Barracuda I bought from the original owner. It didnt need anything. Was a daily driver.

Later, I got a 66 383 charger. A daily driver but had rust issues. I worked a lot of hours so the work needed on the car was out running me. Sold it.

What I'm thinking to do next is get an older, light body import and throwing a big block in it.. imagine a 80s celica with a 460 or an X-1/9 with a 340 six pack...
or twin turbos
I watched a $5k Civic smoke a $200k supercharged vette LoL

ol bob

If you can afford to build one, build it. It cost a lot to do it right. I have built a couple the poor man's way and never really trusted them any more than a few miles from the house. If I had the money I would buy what I wanted all ready to go.View attachment 998721View attachment 998722
I put a truck just like this together about 20 years ago 750 HP got 7 MPG on a good day but sure was a blast to drive, still makes me mad that someone wanted it more than me.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE