Clearing land for a food plot cost?

bilgerat

Senior
After reading the forest mulcher thread Ive decided Id be better off just clearing an acre or two for a food plot on My land, The spot Id like to put it is almost flat with a mature timber mix of mostly big deciduous trees with a few big pines , Any land clearing guys on here can give me an idea of what it would cost? Hers a trail cam pic of the spot Id like to put it. bb.jpg

jmock9

I would think you could do it for $1,000 or less. That would be about 6 hours of dozier work at $150 an hour. I have had several machine jobs done and that shouldn't be a problem for anyone. There might be a bigger tree or two you end up leaving to make cost easier but those hardwoods are going to have a shallow root system. You don't have to get every stump or root because it is just a food plot and you are not going to be running a subsoiler. Have them clean it up with the root rake so they don't push much dirt to the edges. Keep harrowing it and throwing out roots when it rains. Few years everything will be rotted. Lime when they are done.

bilgerat

Senior
Ive got a few leads on local guys who do dozer work, Hoping to get a few estimates soon

ucfireman

Ive got a few leads on local guys who do dozer work, Hoping to get a few estimates soon
Keep us posted, With costs and pics work.

After reading your post got me thinking.
I got a low area that stays wet. As well as a bunch of trees.
Thought I might get a dozer to clear most of the trees, dig out the wet area a little and a small dam (duck hole) and then clear and put in about a 1 acre food plot. And just knock down the trees and push them in a few pile to rot. Maybe work in a 3 acre area. 1 ac duck, 1 ac food and 1 ac trash.
Since I cant find anyone that wants to cut the area (only about 10 acres)
I need to talk to a good grading operator.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Keep us posted, With costs and pics work.

After reading your post got me thinking.
I got a low area that stays wet. As well as a bunch of trees.
Thought I might get a dozer to clear most of the trees, dig out the wet area a little and a small dam (duck hole) and then clear and put in about a 1 acre food plot. And just knock down the trees and push them in a few pile to rot. Maybe work in a 3 acre area. 1 ac duck, 1 ac food and 1 ac trash.
Since I cant find anyone that wants to cut the area (only about 10 acres)
I need to talk to a good grading operator.
Where you located.I know a great loader operator in talbot co.

bilgerat

Senior
My property is in Monticello Ga , Ive got a kubota tractor with a loader but Its not gonna do much to the size trees I want cleared on My place,

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
A chainsaw cuts a lot of firewood that size. Burn the stumps and keep at it for a couple years with herbicide in a spray jug and it will be a good plot

But I’m cheap. I’d sell the firewood to make it help pay for itself.

Last edited:

Eudora

If you are not in a real big hurry, see if someone local is harvesting trees and get with the timber cutter about taking your trees with no compensation. They most likely won't do a small track and pay you since moving the equipment is a big cost for them. I was fortunate my neighbor (in Jasper County) was having timber cut and they cleared trees for a driveway and a clearing for me. Left a mess of limbs and "cuts" but trees were down. PM me if you need a good local person for grading too. I can recommend someone. Good luck