Climbing stands

coon hunter

Alright bow hunters, mainly public land bow hunters, what climber are you using? I will primarily be public land hunting this year as my private spot got sold. I have had a Walmart climber for about the last 12 years but it hasn't been needed much as I had permanent stands on the private land. I want something a little better since this will be my primary stand this year. Weight will be a factor for sure so I want something on the lighter side, also will be primarily bow hunting.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Summit viper. Here comes the treewalker guys. Theyll be here soon. Dont worry about them. They have the same thing but it's heavier, slower, and more expensive. So there you have it.

coon hunter

My main hunting partner has a viper and he likes it. Have any of you tried the ones with the flip up seats instead of the viper style seat so you are sitting up higher? Seems better for bow hunting, just curious. Something like this summit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200421-211747_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200421-211747_Chrome.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 27
Alright bow hunters, mainly public land bow hunters, what climber are you using? I will primarily be public land hunting this year as my private spot got sold. I have had a Walmart climber for about the last 12 years but it hasn't been needed much as I had permanent stands on the private land. I want something a little better since this will be my primary stand this year. Weight will be a factor for sure so I want something on the lighter side, also will be primarily bow hunting.

summit viper

splatek

UAEC
I have a summit viper I literally just put in the attic yesterday. If you were close I could prob lend it to you. Nobody bit when I tried selling on ... some online sales sight. And if your user name has meaning, maybe teach me how to trap a coon or two? HAHA

I use a saddle now. I have a few of them: the JX3 is almost too comfortable (I have had the head nod fall asleep feel several times) and doubles as a meat pack in the event that you are a better hunter than me and kill a big something or other back deep in the woods; I also have a trophyline, which has been my go to: I use it on the small private I hunt (sticks already in place, I like the mobility of it) and wear it in on public too. Sort of looks like a big mesh diaper, but I'm not in this for fashion. I also made a saddle out of a sitdrag that I use in the yard trees, but honestly it's pretty solid and cost significantly less than the other options. I am not one of these hipster dudes trying to push a new fad on you, so don't get that impression. I am just a new hunter and happened to start at about the same time it seems that saddles were making a comeback. I had read some Eberhardt (spelling?) books in hopes of learning how to hunt and he mentions that trophyline in almost every thing he writes so I was looking for one. A quick google search will return about a million companies selling overpriced mesh and ropes that you can build easily if you have a sewing machine and a pair of scissors. Or buy a Trophyline for 150 or something like that.

^^All that being said, the viper is solid. I have hiked almost two miles with that thing on my back and cursed every darn minute of it, but it got me up in a tree on some deer.

Hillbilly stalker

Reason I ask is the viper is for standard size fellows. The summit Goliath and Titan are made for the bigger guys. At 250 the Viper will do it for you.

hunter rich

Thinking of using a saddle, check out The Hunting Public on you tube or listen to their pod casts. They have used climbers and lock-ons but have switched over to saddles. If I dont use a saddle I will look at the Lone Wolf.

:cheers:

1982ace

My main hunting partner has a viper and he likes it. Have any of you tried the ones with the flip up seats instead of the viper style seat so you are sitting up higher? Seems better for bow hunting, just curious. Something like this summit
I have one like that but without the rail. I like it pretty good. Buddy has one with the rail and I like it better. Very comfortable and easier to stand up than other style. The viper is a fine stand as well.

catchdogs

For bow hunting the open shot gets my vote . I have both but if needed can shoot sitting down with open shot can’t with viper . Much easier to pack in my option also .

GRT24

Summit Viper or Saddle setup. I do a lot of public land hunting and this is the only way to go. You can not go anymore mobile than a saddle. Listen to Truth from the Stand podcast. They go really into depth on saddle hunting and public land hunting. They hunt primarily all public land. Similar to the Hunting Public. The Truth from the Stand goes a little more in depth in my opinion though. Both are great podcasts though. Tethrd Mantis is what a lot of saddle guys use.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Im not a fan of the viper but this stand is interesting and priced good. The fold up seat is nice.