Clover help

fountain

What clover are deer going to prefer? It will be poor soil for the most part. I’d like some ladino. Dixie Crimson is readily available but not sure if it’s preferred as the white ladino

Triple C

What clover are deer going to prefer? It will be poor soil for the most part. I’d like some ladino. Dixie Crimson is readily available but not sure if it’s preferred as the white ladino
@fountain...Been my experience that white clovers and poor soils don't do well together. Get a soil test and add amendments accordingly, particularly lime. Plant white clovers in the fall with a cereal nurse crop and you'll feed deer n turkeys for years.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
For now plant a crimson and winter wheat..do as Triple.C suggest then plant perennial mixture of medium red, ladino,duranna and patriot next fall.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Clover seed is expensive. Before you throw good money on the ground work on amending your soil. Cereal grains work good for that. You can mix in radishes, chicory and other seed types in the mean time.

Getting clover established is hard work with no small amount of luck involved. Ask me how I know this. :bounce:

north_ga fireman

what triple c and elfiii said with that being said we started a clover only after they logged and at the 3rd year mark really doing well. and we used durana

Gaswamp

when u say poor soils, you talking low ph, sandy, ect

lampern

Rye, triticale and wheat will germinate on concrete.

Deer will browse it and it will grow even on packed clay.

I'd put down a thick cover of a grain crop while testing your soil.

As said, clover seed ain't cheap.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

GeorgeShu

Getting your ph up to at least 6.0 is important for establishing lasting clover.
Lime is often called poor man’s fertilizer because it is relatively cheap and releases native nutrients that are chemically locked up by the acids in low ph soils.
Proper ph will get you much greater bang for your fertilizing $$ down the road. lime pays for itself many times over.