Clybel 1st hunt - who's going?

oldfatbubba

I'll be camping and driving (gulp) a Honda minivan. Would enjoy meeting & chatting with other GON Forum board members.

Full Draw McGraw

The roads there are mostly county roads so they're well maintained (just mostly unpaved). You won't have trouble is a minivan.
I got drawn for the second hunt but not sure yet if i'll be able to make it.

deer588

went this morning hunting near boar pond heard fair amount of shots don't know what the the total killed today heading back in the morning saw a small yearling doe let walk hoping far a nice buck

oldfatbubba

Good weather until Saturday morning when it started raining. A fellow camper took a nice 8 pt buck. I heard about one big buck but didn’t see him.

thumper523

I got 2 small bucks, one Thursday morning and another one Friday evening.
You probably saw me skinning them in camp. My buddy got a nice buck Thursday morning. We camped in site #16, first one on right. I was in a gray GMC Sierra 2500.

Fletch_W

Banned
I camped at campsite 13 (the very last one at the end) about a month ago and I lost count of the deer carcasses down the hill. How many priority points does it usually take to get a spot at Clybel? And are there designated spots or they just set everyone loose? I've seen those numbered signs all over the place there.

oldfatbubba

@Fletch_W I believe you were at Clybel during the second firearm hunt (Nov 19-21). That hunt was actually undersubscribed - only 136 hunters were chosen out of the 200 available spots. Anyone who had it as their first choice was selected, even if they wagered 0 points.

It's more difficult to win a spot for the first firearm hunt (Nov 5-7). No one who wagered 0 points was selected. 74% who wagered 1 point were selected and 100% of those who wagered two were selected.

The number signs that you mention are, I believe, reference markers for the horse trail, not assigned spaces.

Fletch_W

Banned
I camped Dec 6th prior to opening Dec dove.
Regarding the markers, they have little car emblems with a number, almost like parking space numbers, every couple hundred yards on the road, especially Shepard Pond Rd. I have just assumed they involved the quota deer, as if when you get your number called, that's the area you have to hunt. Total guess though.

I went to today and hiked some of the horse trail and saw the markers you mentioned (and a bear track).