Clybel pork

hambone76

If you have a muzzleloader, use it.

I haven’t tried it myself, but there are also some folks using shotguns loaded with Apex #2 TSS on pigs with good results.

Big7

The Oracle
Scouting doves this morning and bumped five hogs... very healthy specimens. I jump hogs here about every two years and now I'd like to take one. Anybody know a processor in the Jasper/Newton area who does hogs?

Also, I read you can take hogs with small game firearms during small game season which opens August 15.... anybody ever shoot a hog with a .22? The first two I came across were at 20 yds.
Check Greer Holyfield in Covington.

Just blew through your open. And yes, a .22lr will definitely kill a hog.
Just my 2 cents.

chrislibby88

My father in law has a .22WMR rimfire rifle. He hasn't done anything with hit in years and years except let it rust. I cleaned it up for him when I saw he had it. I've wanted to take it shooting with me sometime, and as long as it was in good working order, I've thought several times that it could make a decent rimfire hog option.
I’ve killed a pile of them with 22mag. Had a few get away, but Ive also had some get away shooting .223 soft points, and 308 soft points, so.

Last edited:
I'm new to hunting after leaving the Navy and go to Clybel frequently but rarely see hogs.
I've been trying to kill one for awhile.
Can't figure out what I'm not doing right.

That being said, I love Clybel and walking its peaceful fields and trails. It helps keep me sane between juggling work and going back to college.

I would love the opportunity to tag along with another hunter or two just to get my feet wet and get some pointers! Is there ever a group that meets up and goes out there? I'' bring snacks! :)

Pretty sure Newborn Taxidermy handles them. Or at leas they used to. They are just right around the corner from Clybel / Charlie Elliot on Hwy 142 in Newborn. They do good work too.

dfurdennis

Scouting doves this morning and bumped five hogs... very healthy specimens. I jump hogs here about every two years and now I'd like to take one. Anybody know a processor in the Jasper/Newton area who does hogs?

Also, I read you can take hogs with small game firearms during small game season which opens August 15.... anybody ever shoot a hog with a .22? The first two I came across were at 20 yds.
J&J deer processing is in the middle of Charlie Elliot, he does pretty good with hogs