Cochran Shoals Chattahoochee fishing

luigi

Are there are any bank fishing spots at the Cochran Shoals unit of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area (off Interstate North Parkway near Powers Ferry)?

blink

i usually go down to Paces Mill for a bit of wading. dont try it on the weekend though. its like spring break in PCB.

luigi

Yes. Are you allergic to poison Ivey?

Unfortunately, yes. It didn't seem to bother me when I was a kid and in my teens, but now it can drive me crazy. So if it's a matter of the only spots are ones you have to drudge through tons of poison ivy to get to, then I will probably have to pass. But if it's a case of there being a good amount of the stuff but you can get around it, then I'll be sure to dress appropriately and will be extremely watchful and careful when walking around, just as I do with a number of other woodsy areas and parks I go to.

Thanks blink for the word about Paces Mill on the weekends, I can imagine. Some friends have invited us for some grilling at Cochran Shoals so I was wondering if there'd be an opportunity for me to try my hand at the river while there.

fishndoc

It's been a few years, but I used to trout fish Cochran shoals a lot, and the wading is pretty easy if the water level is down (lots of exposed rocks). As hot as it's been, could probably wet wade and be comfortable.

mtr3333

Banned
Unfortunately, yes. It didn't seem to bother me when I was a kid and in my teens, but now it can drive me crazy. So if it's a matter of the only spots are ones you have to drudge through tons of poison ivy to get to, then I will probably have to pass. But if it's a case of there being a good amount of the stuff but you can get around it, then I'll be sure to dress appropriately and will be extremely watchful and careful when walking around, just as I do with a number of other woodsy areas and parks I go to.

Thanks blink for the word about Paces Mill on the weekends, I can imagine. Some friends have invited us for some grilling at Cochran Shoals so I was wondering if there'd be an opportunity for me to try my hand at the river while there.

You can neutralize it in the water but there is a ton.

luigi

:huh:

How do you do that?

I've read that if you're exposed to poison ivy, then if you wash it with cold running water, even from a lake or stream, within 5 minutes then it will neutralize it and keep it from spreading. That's not much time to act, and I wonder if it works. I had a lotion once that supposedly would keep you from breaking out if you were exposed within an hour or so after putting it on. It didn't work for me.

sbroadwell

I've read that if you're exposed to poison ivy, then if you wash it with cold running water, even from a lake or stream, within 5 minutes then it will neutralize it and keep it from spreading. That's not much time to act, and I wonder if it works. I had a lotion once that supposedly would keep you from breaking out if you were exposed within an hour or so after putting it on. It didn't work for me.

It may be the same thing, but I use a product called Ivy Block. If I put it on really good, and not miss any exposed skin, it works for me.

Ivy Block will help but honestly the best thing I have found that works almost everytime to prevent Poision oak/Ivy is using plain rubbing alcohol pouring it over your arms/legs and rubbing it around on yourself for a minute or so and then rinsing in cold water if possible. I have used it up to an hour after contact and it generally always works as I break out easily from posion oak/ivy.

Has anyone been catching any decent sized shoal bass at Cochran lately? I fish it from time to time and can usually catch a few healthy shoal bass but nothing too big. Anyone ever snag the elusive 3-4 pounder out of the shoals?

torrente1

Take the trail north from the east parking walk up to creek and hop rocks and fish is fun shoal bass are the best!!

westcobbdog

tech nu will neutralize it sure enough, but water?