Cocker Spaniel Usage

crimsonraider23

I am looking at getting a Cocker Spaniel here soon and was curious as to how many of y'all use them to hunt. I primarily hunt upland game and duck but was curious as to y'all's success with the breed and if recommended any other breeds to consider.

across the river

I am looking at getting a Cocker Spaniel here soon and was curious as to how many of y'all use them to hunt. I primarily hunt upland game and duck but was curious as to y'all's success with the breed and if recommended any other breeds to consider.

If I was getting a spaniel to hunt, I would get a Boykin. There are more hunting lines out there, so they are easier to find if you want a hunter. Also easier to keep a Boykin groomed than a Cocker. If you are set on a cocker, make sure you get one from a breeder that has hunting stock. Most lines have been bred as pets or show for generations, so the "hunting genes" you want may no be there or be as strong if you just buy one from a random breeder.

Last edited:

Beagles N Boykins

I’ve got both a Boykin and an English Cocker. Both are used for upland birds. The Boykin is a male and is 38lb. The cocker is a female at 27lb. The Boykin hunts everything up to geese. I’ve never tried the cocker on waterfowl but she’d have no trouble with ducks. She has the heart of a lion. Bottom line is do your research and get a quality dog. Blaine Tarneki with Hudson River Retrievers for Boykin. Ryglen Gun Dogs or Cc Watson for Cockers.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I love the idea of a compact hunter that could live inside.

that is why I went from labs to Boykins.

My labs always thought they were lap dogs, and doggone if a 80lb lab can't put a hurting on you jumping up in a recliner.

My female boykin is just under 25 lbs, has a jet engine for a motor, and loves, loves, loves to retrieve.

Plus every time I take her to town, all the cute girls want to come over, introduce themselves and pet the dog.

SLY22

Useles Member !
Our 2 year old male Boykin ( 33 lbs ) is a great hunter and retrvier also a great dog inside the house. He;s a very loving pet! Our Boykin also came from Blane at Hudson River Retreivers.

Redman54

I have a male Boykin who is a great dog, he's one of the best blood tracking dogs I've seen, a retriever he is not. I also have 2 English Cockers, male and female. The male is a pup off my female and he is currently in training. My female is one of the best gun dogs I've ever seen. We use her for waterfowl, marsh hens and dove. She is all drive all the time. My little male has the same instincts and I look forward to what he is going to become. Here are some pictures of my female.
4F9E4E80-EE35-4147-BA4C-89E4B0DC2A5D.JPGIMG_0674.jpgIMG_0719.jpgIMG_3153.PNGIMG-0719.JPGIMG-0720.PNGRiley1.jpgScreenshot 2019-12-02 at 2.29.52 PM.jpg