Cohutta Hunt

rigderunner

I'll be up that way tomorrow afternoon and Saturday. I drove across the mtn tonight and seen one bear and 4 deer on the roads

WoodlandScout82

Awesome, I'm going do some walk and sit hunting tomorrow evening just SW of Lake Conasauga. If no sign, I'll go higher for Saturday and Sunday and try and use my climber. Trying to find the elevation that has acorns.
Lots of acorns down in the elevation I've been hunting, just no animals except a Sow and cubs on opening day of archery. I'm trying one more place here tomorrow then may move up to a higher elevation on Sunday and just try my luck with still hunting all day. I've only been hunting up there 3 years but have always gotten something down where I am. Tough hunt for me this year so far.

Scouted-Hunted it the last four days. Around three forks mountain found lots of sign on one ridge. Saw a momma and two cubs Wednesday. Had a good bear (150# minimum) come up the ridge 15 feet from me yesterday I had a 30-06 with 165grn gmx bullets, he was to close to get in the scope so I pointed, check to make sure i was on him and shot. Only a few drops of blood. Three of us searched up and down the ridge for four hours and couldnt find him. I can't figure out how didnt drop him at that distance. This was my first time hunting in the mountains and it kicked my butt had to come home early but hope to be back later. Good luck

bighits4421

Found a ton of acorns down low too..around 1,600 ft in elevation, but no bear sign. Saw a turkey and doe today, ha. I found some smaller acorns up higher. Currently in climber around 3200 feet over one of these cleared fields. Hiked all the way up here with climber thinking I’d find acorns as they have been everywhere. Walk around field and surrounding woods..zero acorns?..hunting it anyways. Maybe tomorrow ill Find a new spot.

WoodlandScout82

Scouted-Hunted it the last four days. Around three forks mountain found lots of sign on one ridge. Saw a momma and two cubs Wednesday. Had a good bear (150# minimum) come up the ridge 15 feet from me yesterday I had a 30-06 with 165grn gmx bullets, he was to close to get in the scope so I pointed, check to make sure i was on him and shot. Only a few drops of blood. Three of us searched up and down the ridge for four hours and couldnt find him. I can't figure out how didnt drop him at that distance. This was my first time hunting in the mountains and it kicked my butt had to come home early but hope to be back later. Good luck
I hit one twice with a .308 last season. Rolled it the first hit, spun it the second time, had good blood for 100 yards and then nothing. Lost it. I searched for 2 days. It was a BIG bear though. I got a #170 on the late season hunt

I hit one twice with a .308 last season. Rolled it the first hit, spun it the second time, had good blood for 100 yards and then nothing. Lost it. I searched for 2 days. It was a BIG bear though. I got a #170 on the late season hunt
This was my first season ever hunting bear. I think my nerves got to me. I was sitting on a ridge over looking a bunch of oaks and it walked up the ridge I was on, I couldnt believe I had a 15 ft shot. My scope was no use, I had too much faith in the 06. Only had a few drops of blood, really hoping he makes it. I'm still sick to my stomach thinking about it. I'll be back up for the late season hopefully I will have some luck. I'm in love though and will for sure be back.

WoodlandScout82

The one I took home stepped out in front of me at 15 feet face to face. I shot it at 10 yards after it watched me for over a minute. It was a LOOoooong minute. The one I lost still haunts me. That's hunting. You're not the first and won't be the last. This is only my 3rd season of hunting bears, I look at deer now as secondary.

rigderunner

I left the campground at conasauga late last night and there had been 6 bears checked in total. The heaviest bear was 375 pounds. there was 3 males 3 females no deer or hogs as of Saturday night

WoodlandScout82

I can only speak for myself, but it's been a tough season up there so far. I went every weekend of archery and 3 days of the gun hunt. I found I pile of deer poop in one of the way back food plots. 5 deer tracks in a dried up spring, and some old bear scat. I saw a Sow with cubs on opening day of archery and that's IT. I'll not go back until the late gun hunt, hopefully there will be better results. I probably logged 20 miles of hiking around up there in the past 5 weeks.

Buckman18

It was a tuff hunt. I blame the moon. I saw a doe, a fawn and a spike in 3 hard days of hunting a very good area. Since it was a check-in hunt, the spike took a ride in my backpack. ?

Congratulations!

Buckman18

Looks like you got a nice one, congratulations!