Cohutta WMA Bear

whitetailfreak

I look forward to this hunt every season, and this year was no exception. I decided to dedicate my time hunting an old tall racked big bodied 6 pt. that I found several weeks ago on a scouting trip. I've hunted this hole a lot over the years, and for whatever reason there is usually early buck sign in there considering It's usually Late November/early December when buck sign really opens up on Cohutta. There are usually bears in this area as well, which my scouting trips confirmed was the case again this season. I decided to sit on the buck sign with several White Oaks dropping 100 yds or so behind me along a small branch. I had daily pics of this bear and several bucks leading up to the hunt so I was eager to get in the woods Thursday morning. I and a buddy hunted the area hard Thursday and Friday with no sightings, but looking ahead at the weather it was apparent that Sunday morning would be prime time. The fella I hunted with the first two days couldn't hunt on Sunday so I called long time best friend and fellow ridge runner Joey Bartenfield to see if he wanted to drive down from Tennessee and hunt for the day. He had just got back into town from a weekend camping trip but he jumped at the opportunity to squeeze in a last minute hunt on the mountain. We made the long hike in and settled in our tree seats about 300 yards apart and agreed to meet up around noon. Around 11:00 I saw a fat stubby legged bear walking up the branch towards me heading for the White Oaks that were dropping behind me. I raised my 7mm-08 and waited for the bear to clear a big Poplar and offer the broadside shot I was waiting for. We had taken the sled with us, so a few quick pics, handshake, and a gut pile and we were loaded up and headed out. We had a few obstacles, but the sled makes life much easier in the mountains. After dropping Joey off at his truck, the PB&J sandwich and apple mid morning had long worn off, and I just couldn't pass up the Huddle House here in town. I think I burned enough calories to justify it.

As a side note, this was the 3rd bear in 5 years I have killed on my wife's birthday so I had some splainin' to do.

FOTO_20191014_095739.jpg

FOTO_20191014_095853.jpg
FOTO_20191014_095919.jpg
FOTO_20191014_095951.jpg
FOTO_20191014_100017.jpg hi

Last edited:

jbogg

Congrats on another great hunt! Nice looking bear. I think Joey must be your lucky rabbits foot. God knows I have seen him in a lot of your photos.

FMBear

Awesome hunt and congrats on the continued success! The camaraderie in the hunt & your wife's birthday make for some great memories for sure!

Hookedonhunting

Congratulations on the awesome Ga MTN bear. He looks to be a good one.
We're you hunting a specific hunt or just an annual trip you always take?

whitetailfreak

Congratulations on the awesome Ga MTN bear. He looks to be a good one.
We're you hunting a specific hunt or just an annual trip you always take?

Cohutta WMA is 15 minutes from my house and I've been hunting those mountains since I was 11. This was the first of two annual firearm hunts.

Ghost G

Congrats there Whitetailfeak! I think I'll try hunting for a buck on my wife's birthday to see if it brings me that bear I'm after!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on a nice bear! 11:00 AM has been the magic hour for seeing bears for me the last couple weeks, even those parking lot bears I sent you the pic of.