Cohutta WMA Hogs

whitetailfreak

Cohutta has pigs and I've killed a bunch up there. I'm on Cohutta multiple times per week and log hundreds of miles walking each year hunting and fishing from the south end up to the Tennessee line. Each year I can count my hog encounters on one hand. They're there but tough to target, most of mine are killed by happenstance while huntin' other species. The North end undoubtedly has better hog densities. Good luck, kill em all.

Last edited:

cohutta joe

I killed one, Friday; my first. I have to say that I favor the neck shot, now. I aimed for between the eyes, but hit about 2 inches low. It squeeled and flopped around, disturbingly, until I got closer, and shot it in the neck with my 9mm. That was all. I will always go for the neck, from now on.

cohutta joe

Congrats, post up some pics.
Sorry, I didn't have my phone with me (no service + good chance of losing it, in this terrain; left it in my jeep), and never thought to get pics, later. It was a sow, pretty sure over 200, on foot. The hams, shoulders and backstraps weighed about 70 lbs; that's all I took. But I'll try to remember to post pics of bbq, tomorrow afternoon; about to pull it off ice and start smoking.

Last edited:

cohutta joe

Since I don't want another one, this season, I will share that there are lots of hogs in the Jigger Creek area; but they move around, a lot; could be anywhere in a 5 square mile range, and, under pressure, move a long way from trails. But I've heard them everytime I've been, the last 2 weeks; just had to locate them. Seeing them is a different story. I even tried a hog grunt, a few days ago. It didn't work for me; never heard them again, that day. The best advice I could give, right now, is follow the grunts, once you hear them, until you get close, then sit down, be patient, and wait. They're hard, up here in these mountains. Iv'e heard them every time I've went, the past couple weeks, but Friday was the first time I actually saw one. But it just went in my smoker. Satisfied mind. But this area is not easy, folks. It's hard and trying. Good luck to the best of you.

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Since I don't want another one, this season, I will share that there are lots of hogs in the Jigger Creek area; but they move around, a lot; could be anywhere in a 5 square mile range, and, under pressure, move a long way from trails. But I've heard them everytime I've been, the last 2 weeks; just had to locate them. Seeing them is a different story. I even tried a hog grunt, a few days ago. It didn't work for me; never heard them again, that day. The best advice I could give, right now, is follow the grunts, once you hear them, until you get close, then sit down, be patient, and wait. They're hard, up here in these mountains. Iv'e heard them every time I've went, the past couple weeks, but Friday was the first time I actually saw one. But it just went in my smoker. Satisfied mind. But this area is not easy, folks. It's hard and trying. Good luck to the best of you.
Heck yea!! CONGRATS! That’s awesome man glad to hear you got your first! Sounds like you were prepared to take the good stuff too! Cohutta is a hike for me, but I am do to go again......may have to go there as I am finding no sign at Pinelog and I on'y got a week left.

FrChs28

I killed one, Friday; my first. I have to say that I favor the neck shot, now. I aimed for between the eyes, but hit about 2 inches low. It squeeled and flopped around, disturbingly, until I got closer, and shot it in the neck with my 9mm. That was all. I will always go for the neck, from now on.
CJ congratulations on your first Hog ! Good to hear you’re back in the game. Hope your good luck continues, many more Bud ??

CroMagnum

After posting, I immediately realized that taking the scope off might not be an option, since the gun has no sights, lol. 3 power sounds better.
Maybe you could consider putting a low cost red dot on your .308 to replace the scope. Bushnell TRS25 might be a good option. Somewhere south of $75 and is very sturdy with good glass.

hambone76

I have a Leupold VXR Firedot 1.25-4X that works like a red dot on 1.25x and still has 4X magnification when I need it for practical distances.