Cohutta WMA

Joehales90

Morning fellas. Sorry this is a bit off topic for the bear page, but I was told you guys could probably help out.. a few of us our making a trip down there from Maryland in late January (mlk day weekend) to do some hog hunting for the first time. We're all avid deer hunters up here looking to change it up some and extend our season.

Was wondering what the hog numbers are like in the mountains? I've read elsewhere they're plentiful but figured the people who frequent it would know best thanks in advance guys

kayaksteve

I’ve never hunted cohutta much but I’m pretty sure small game will be the only season in during January so you would be restricted to legal small game firearms during that time

KentuckyHeadhunter

Kill em all. I've seen more hog sign in the mountains than ever also. In the CNF. If you want definite pigs go to middle or south GA. Our deer lease is covered up.

trial&error

Bring a lunch, because you have to carry out whatever you kill. No wheel allowed off road, this includes your game cart. And as mentioned earlier it's not flat, dragging or packing a hog out is a hard day. I have seen hog sign in the past, but never any standing in those tracks.

whitetailfreak

The NE GA mountain WMAs are better for pigs than Cohutta but they're here if you can catch up with em. Kill a truck load.

Joehales90

Awesome thanks for the info. We liked the idea of the mountains better, but are willing to go just about anywhere. Would love to find some private land where people just want a few killed so we can carry something other than muzzleloaders but that's pretty slim odds lol.

That's crazy that game carts aren't allowed! Never heard of such a thing. Our goal is definitely to go wherever the hogs are... Hunting is hunting, you don't always get what you're after... But for the 10+ hour drive each way we're definitely hoping to get on some hogs so we're trying to do the research now to figure out best odds

Sautee Ridgerunner

Your odds will go up exponentially if youre willing to drive all the way to ft stewart. It’s not mountains but it’s an exceptionally beautiful place too and if you cant find pigs there, you need to take up golf.

Winter pig hunting in the mountains can be very tough at times. They become extremely unpredictable and our massive red oak crop is going to have them very scattered and wandering.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Awesome thanks for the info. We liked the idea of the mountains better, but are willing to go just about anywhere. Would love to find some private land where people just want a few killed so we can carry something other than muzzleloaders but that's pretty slim odds lol.

That's crazy that game carts aren't allowed! Never heard of such a thing. Our goal is definitely to go wherever the hogs are... Hunting is hunting, you don't always get what you're after... But for the 10+ hour drive each way we're definitely hoping to get on some hogs so we're trying to do the research now to figure out best odds

Not all of Cohutta is like that with wheeled carts, just the portion that's designated as wilderness. It's a big swath through the middle of the WMA. You can see it on the USFS map.

Interactive Visitor Map

chrislibby88

Your odds will go up exponentially if youre willing to drive all the way to ft stewart. It’s not mountains but it’s an exceptionally beautiful place too and if you cant find pigs there, you need to take up golf.

Winter pig hunting in the mountains can be very tough at times. They become extremely unpredictable and our massive red oak crop is going to have them very scattered and wandering.
Ft Stewart is extra hassle having to register before hand, register your guns, etc.

N. GA hunting is awesome, but it’s rough hunting. Animal density per sq mile is pretty dang low, and success rates are the lowest in the state. If you want a cool experience, go to Cohutta, or any mountain wma. If pigs in a cooler are top priority you could pick almost any middle or south GA wma on a river bottom and be on more pigs than the mountains.

Joehales90

Pigs in a cooler is definitely the priority ??. I see most guys prefer easing through the woods into the wind... How far off are you usually able to hear them? I assume it'll be too thick to see them more than 40 yards or so

Joehales90

I figured those things would be worn out by then. Up here any open place on public land is worn out by the first week of bow season.

Other than pressure from deer, bear and small game hunters are hogs down there really pursued heavily?

chrislibby88

Pigs in a cooler is definitely the priority ??. I see most guys prefer easing through the woods into the wind... How far off are you usually able to hear them? I assume it'll be too thick to see them more than 40 yards or so
When the air is crisp, wind is low, and the leaves are down you can easily hear them from 200 yards+ away (depending on topography). I often hear them before I see them. They make a lot of noise when they are in groups, especially if there is a rowdy one in the pack. Single pigs usually slip around silent.

bany

I figured those things would be worn out by then. Up here any open place on public land is worn out by the first week of bow season.

Other than pressure from deer, bear and small game hunters are hogs down there really pursued heavily?
Late small game season guys are thinking pigs more than most times. As eating goes people are preferring pork so things are evolving. You’re getting some tremendous information here. No one is kidding!

KentuckyHeadhunter

I don't even want to see another pig. At my club we take them to the "train station". I'll use my first one of the year for sausage and ditch the rest. There's no excitement in shooting pigs to me anymore. But I understand wanting to try something new. Mountain hogs are kinda random and harder to target than middle/south GA pigs. They'll hit the feeders all day and night at our lease. I hate em.