Cold Weather and Doves

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Seeing more doves this year than normal. Hope they stick around

revans4661

I saw a group of 150-200 fly over hwy 72 in Madison county this morning. First time I have seen migratories in my area

Turkeytider

Obviously we get migratories, but what do they eat? Weed seeds coming up in fields? Peanut field leavings? Corn, millet, etc. is long gone, I assume? I`m also assuming there`s really nothing specifically planted for January migrants since I think this will be the first year we`ll be hunting so late.

Mark K

Banned
Corn fields still have corn, went by a field today where they are just picking peanuts. Drag the fields a couple times before the hunts and they’ll be plenty of feed. Still find corn and peanuts in the fields point hunting in the Spring. Heck, burn off a weed field after deer season and you’ll have birds.

across the river

Animals survived long before people fed them or planted stuff for them.

Big7

The Oracle
We got plenty right now. All over power lines and pinned down on the ground eating.

Of course, they will go away 1 day before the splits.

I've got 2 new unfired .410 + 1 I've had since I was a kid. Those 2 1/2" shells put the sport in it for sure.

Big7

The Oracle
Corn fields still have corn, went by a field today where they are just picking peanuts. Drag the fields a couple times before the hunts and they’ll be plenty of feed. Still find corn and peanuts in the fields point hunting in the Spring. Heck, burn off a weed field after deer season and you’ll have birds.

They stopped doing that here for some reason. I've always liked to shoot dove, quail and rabbit on burnt fields and especially if they are burning to clear new land to plant.

Raybo1

Got them now on peanuts. They showed 2 weeks ago on fields in 3 different counties hope this big blast of cold temps don't run them farther south.

Turkeytider

Got them now on peanuts. They showed 2 weeks ago on fields in 3 different counties hope this big blast of cold temps don't run them farther south.

Ray, looking forward to the later splits. if any go further south, hopefully some will come down behind them. REALLY cold weather doesn`t last too long down here.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Cleaned many a bird full of bahia seed.

Scratch feed is yo friend !!!

Big7

The Oracle
Seen a BUNCH over at my Uncle's Sunday.
On the power lines and in the sandy spots left by the rain. Literally, all over the place. Not spooked either. If you jump one on the ground, they don't fly but a few yards.

I could be wrong but me thinks the cold weather season will be better than September.

I'LL BE THERE FOR SURE. ?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve been out chasing the elusive middle Georgia bobwhite since season came in. My pup has found a couple roost but no birds. On the other hand dove have been all over the cut land we have been on. Should be an excellent second season for doves.

Turkeytider

I’ve been out chasing the elusive middle Georgia bobwhite since season came in. My pup has found a couple roost but no birds. On the other hand dove have been all over the cut land we have been on. Should be an excellent second season for doves.

That`s encouraging. Looking forward to it even though I`ll have to do overnights from Savannah to get to fields.