Collars

spencer12

What brand of shock collars do you guys prefer for yard training? I have a good amount of room in my yard so I will need at least a 200 yard range. I’m looking for a collar that is simple but also reliable. Suggestions?

cabinetjedi

SPORTDOG 1825Xworks well for me yard or field.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Have a Dogtra, used it on my lab, been soaked, muddy, froze and still works...goes out to 400 yards, no issues with it

FLGobstopper

Not sure what kind of dog you have so that plays into the equation. I have a German shorthair and went with the Garmin Sport Pro because it has a 3/4 mile range and she's fast and can be out of sight even in open woods quick . It has some other nice features like a beacon light I can turn on for later evening and night runs around the house, + bark limiter, tone, vibe and a super easy to use dial for 10 stim levels. It's a great everyday e-collar only negative is I wish the controller had a bit of light or glow in the dark on the dial so I could see the settings at night.

I'm really thinking I'm going to need a gps tracking collar for her though because at a little over a year old she's already put the scare in me a handful of times when she's gone in an instant, out of sight in the woods and then locked on point somewhere doing exactly what she's supposed to do. She's my first pointer after having labs all my life and I really didn't understand range of these dogs when I got her last year. That's another $600 - $1,000 ish for gps, so if you're on the fence if you're going to need it, you might want to strongly consider going the buy once cry once route. Glad I have the collar I have, but wish I just had one with gps tracking and everything included from the beginning for more peace of mind in the field.

Bigearl68

Had a sport dog collar once. Can’t remember the model but thing was garbage. Sometimes it would stimulate and sometimes it wouldn’t. No matter what range.
Everyone seems to be happy with the dogtra stuff and the Garmin. I’m a
Tri-tronics user from years ago. Garmin bought Tri-tronics and continued on. Have never had nothing but excellent results from Tri-tronics products or my current Garmin collar which is the Garmin pro 550 but that may be a little more than you want to spend.

SLY22

Useles Member !
What brand of shock collars do you guys prefer for yard training? I have a good amount of room in my yard so I will need at least a 200 yard range. I’m looking for a collar that is simple but also reliable. Suggestions?

Pricey but I went with the Garmin Alpha 100 and love it, the Alpha 200 I hear is even more user friendly. I have a flushing / retrieving Boykin.

beretta

I have been using this system for over 5 years and have had no issues. Also, the collars are DEFINATELY waterproof, I had a collar fall overboard at the lake this summer and I tried using a magnet to recover it, but no such luck. Then 2 weeks later I was launching my boat and there was a guy diving at the boat dock and he came up with the collar! I turned it on and it worked!!!

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/512225

Hillbilly stalker

I’ve used the Garmin Alpha for several seasons on my tree dogs, no problems with signal or stimulation out and past 800 yards. I’ve put a lot of miles on it, good product.

Rebel's Dad

The Alpha is a good tool. I've been using a Garmin GPS since the Astro. I bought my first one when I lost a young dog for a whole day. No dog of mine hits the ground without one.

But it's not the best training device. It's very easy to get crosswise with the stim duration and levels and keeping track of which dog is which if you have more than one dog on it.

A dedicated training collar is much better for yard training.

I've had good luck with a Dogtra trainer, and I'm sure the Garmin/Tritronics units are good.

But the most important thing about ANY shock trainer is knowing how to use it properly!!!

spencer12

Not sure what kind of dog you have so that plays into the equation. I have a German shorthair and went with the Garmin Sport Pro because it has a 3/4 mile range and she's fast and can be out of sight even in open woods quick . It has some other nice features like a beacon light I can turn on for later evening and night runs around the house, + bark limiter, tone, vibe and a super easy to use dial for 10 stim levels. It's a great everyday e-collar only negative is I wish the controller had a bit of light or glow in the dark on the dial so I could see the settings at night.

I'm really thinking I'm going to need a gps tracking collar for her though because at a little over a year old she's already put the scare in me a handful of times when she's gone in an instant, out of sight in the woods and then locked on point somewhere doing exactly what she's supposed to do. She's my first pointer after having labs all my life and I really didn't understand range of these dogs when I got her last year. That's another $600 - $1,000 ish for gps, so if you're on the fence if you're going to need it, you might want to strongly consider going the buy once cry once route. Glad I have the collar I have, but wish I just had one with gps tracking and everything included from the beginning for more peace of mind in the field.
I have a gsp as well and she is around 5 months old. She’s just now starting to get her wild independence tendencies. She understands her basic obedience commands but once she gets into her search mode she is all go.

beretta

My dogs GSP's as well. Most of the time I only have to use the "Tone" function.

For yard training/hunting i would go with the garmin sport pro. You can put up to three dogs on it. Like many others i graduated to the alpha 10 with tt15 mini collars for when hunting. Garmin makes a good product but you can on gun dog supply website and get a good review/understanding of all ecollars.