Colorado Bound! *Update*

TJay

FYI I saw on Facebook that the outfitter that I used for this antelope hunt guided one of their muzzleloader mule deer hunters to a 235" brute earlier this week.

Uptonongood

Had a great hunt on the Eastern Plains of Colorado. Saw lots of pronghorn antelope and passed on some and wound up shooting this guy. He was not the one we were after but he was a shooter and with bad weather coming in a couple of days I took the opportunity to shoot my first ever pronghorn. This also finishes up a bucket list that I undertook ten or twelve years ago to take a nice elk, mule deer and antelope. I have always considered those three to be iconic western game and as I am not getting any younger I set out to do it.
This was my first antelope hunt and I like it. While you see a lot of animals they are not easy to hunt. With a 320 degree field of vision if you do get within 200 yards they will see you and you have only a handful of seconds to set up and shoot. The outfitter had lots of properties leased literally thousands and thousands of acres. We rode around in the truck or Polaris glassing and when you spot a potential shooter you try and make a stalk on them. They were rutting and there was lots of chasing and harassing of does going on which was fun to see. The property where I shot mine was not especially big maybe a thousand acres but it had the only water for quite a ways. The buck I shot was bedded with another buck off the property and since we couldn't put on a stalk we decided to stalk to a high point between them a water and hope they made a move before dark. The last forty of fifty yards we were crawling and the last ten or so we were belly crawling. There is lots of prickly sticky stuff growing on the ground and I brought some home on my hands and knees. There was only about an hour of legal shooting light when one of the bucks got up and started towards the water. I shot him from a prone position from my pack at 218 yards. The 120gr bullet from the 7m08 hit him right square in the heart, he stiffened at the shot then went over backwards at 6:32 pm. He was not the biggest one taken and I had missed one bigger the day before but I am very happy with him. Not bad for a first goat. FYI everyone in camp tagged out.
Congratulation! Now it’s time to hunt Africa.

shdw633

We had a tough hunt, but were lucky enough to bring home this giant cow. 210 lbs. of boned out meat!

That's some good eating without a trip to the taxidermist!! Congratulations!!

Darkhorse

FYI I saw on Facebook that the outfitter that I used for this antelope hunt guided one of their muzzleloader mule deer hunters to a 235" brute earlier this week.

Was the hunter using a scoped inline or a traditional open sighted rifle like a flintlock?
It makes a difference on the outcome. An outfitter who can get his hunter in range of a flintlock rifle is one who might interest me.

TJay

Was the hunter using a scoped inline or a traditional open sighted rifle like a flintlock?
It makes a difference on the outcome. An outfitter who can get his hunter in range of a flintlock rifle is one who might interest me.
I don't know if it was a traditional style ML or an inline but a hunter cannot utilize a telescopic sight of any kind on a ML in Colorado, irons only. I shot a nice muley with them at very close range. The best route would be to talk with Doyle/outfitter, he is great guy and they love a challenge. Shoot me a pm if you want his contact info.

Uptonongood

Had a great hunt on the Eastern Plains of Colorado. Saw lots of pronghorn antelope and passed on some and wound up shooting this guy. He was not the one we were after but he was a shooter and with bad weather coming in a couple of days I took the opportunity to shoot my first ever pronghorn. This also finishes up a bucket list that I undertook ten or twelve years ago to take a nice elk, mule deer and antelope. I have always considered those three to be iconic western game and as I am not getting any younger I set out to do it.
This was my first antelope hunt and I like it. While you see a lot of animals they are not easy to hunt. With a 320 degree field of vision if you do get within 200 yards they will see you and you have only a handful of seconds to set up and shoot. The outfitter had lots of properties leased literally thousands and thousands of acres. We rode around in the truck or Polaris glassing and when you spot a potential shooter you try and make a stalk on them. They were rutting and there was lots of chasing and harassing of does going on which was fun to see. The property where I shot mine was not especially big maybe a thousand acres but it had the only water for quite a ways. The buck I shot was bedded with another buck off the property and since we couldn't put on a stalk we decided to stalk to a high point between them a water and hope they made a move before dark. The last forty of fifty yards we were crawling and the last ten or so we were belly crawling. There is lots of prickly sticky stuff growing on the ground and I brought some home on my hands and knees. There was only about an hour of legal shooting light when one of the bucks got up and started towards the water. I shot him from a prone position from my pack at 218 yards. The 120gr bullet from the 7m08 hit him right square in the heart, he stiffened at the shot then went over backwards at 6:32 pm. He was not the biggest one taken and I had missed one bigger the day before but I am very happy with him. Not bad for a first goat. FYI everyone in camp tagged out.

Great story for a great trophy!

Goon