Colorado ELK Hunt - Sighting In

Binary

Seeking some guidance from fellow hunters.
I’m heading to Colorado for Elk Rifle Season 1.

I need to sight in at 200 yards. Can anyone recommend a gun range with that option? All my searches have come up unsuccessful as it either requires a membership or acquaintance who can bring me on as a guest.

The WMA ranges offer 100 yards from what I know. Everything else is private or 100 yards.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in Kennesaw but will travel for getting an an hour privilege to a range. Willing to pay for range time of course.

Thank you in advance for your help.

deers2ward

A couple of thoughts:

1. With most modern calibers you should be able to zero 2 inches high at 100 yards and have a point blank range to 300 yards, but this will depend on what caliber you are shooting as well as grain and muzzle velocity of the bullet.

2. If you have not been shooting over 100 yards up to this point, you should probably limit yourself on shot distance out of respect for the animal.

Binary

Thanks for the reply.

The rifle is sighted in at 100 yards. This is a new rifle and I wanted to be extra sure of my hold overs. I’m shooting a 6.5 PRC. It’s pretty flat shooting but wanted to get a chance to shoot further and build out my dope card.

ryanh487

Don't shoot at an animal on unfamiliar land at distances you haven't practiced at. Creekside range has a 600 yard rifle range and there are open to the public days. If you're going with an outfitter, call and ask them if they can arrange a brief range trip to check your rifle. After travel. If you're going solo, it's legal to shoot on national forest land. Set up a range and practice a bit before your first day hunting.

Binary

Creekside changed their policy and became private. I was a member there for a year 2 years ago. Nice folks but it seems like people abused rules and they have closed it for the public. Thanks.
Colorado has a forest fire restriction so ranges are closed near the location I’m going.
Great tip and I appreciate it. I’m not planning to take a shot more than 200 to be ethical with the time behind the rifle I have right now.

huntfish

I used to shoot at DeKalb County Police Range in Lithonia and they had a 3oo YD range. Also Gun Site Hills Gun Range in Lexington has a 800 YD range.

Definitely practice at the range you feel comfortable and don't overshoot the distance. A wounded elk can travel a **** of a long way and that 2 miles it covered down the mountain in 15 minutes might take you 2 hours....

godogs57

You’ll need to shoot to confirm your zero once you get out there. There are a number of ballistics programs available that will give you the data you are seeking. They are amazingly accurate. Plug in your bullet’s ballistic coefficient, weight, velocity, distance between the center of your scope and center of the bore, average elevation and temperature out there and it will calculate your zero immediately. It’ll take less time to load the data that it took me to write this response. Most major bullet manufacturers have their own ballistics programs. Others are available as apps of power smart phones and still more can be loaded on your home computer.

I use Load Data on my computer. Easy as falling off a greasy log at midnight.

Or, you could pm me with your load info and I could run it for you.

Latest posts