Colorado Springs hunting

Stroker

Got a good friend moving to Colorado Springs, what's the hunting opportunities for residents and non-residents?

huntfish

Got a good friend moving to Colorado Springs, what's the hunting opportunities for residents and non-residents?

Welcome to the draw! There is good hunting all over the state. Obviously residents have a better chance in the draw, but it takes time to gain points for a guaranteed tag. With a little exploration, you can get a tag every year for a species but may not be every year. There are also some OTC tags available for bow and late season elk.

I miss seeing Pikes Peak every day and someday I hope to return back.

Stroker

Welcome to the draw! There is good hunting all over the state. Obviously residents have a better chance in the draw, but it takes time to gain points for a guaranteed tag. With a little exploration, you can get a tag every year for a species but may not be every year. There are also some OTC tags available for bow and late season elk.

I miss seeing Pikes Peak every day and someday I hope to return back.
My main interest is mulies, antelope, and prairie dogs, maybe elk later on. Never been out west, always a dream trip, just really looking forward to the scenery, if I get to hunt that will be a plus. Thanks for the reply. James.

huntfish

My main interest is mulies, antelope, and prairie dogs, maybe elk later on. Never been out west, always a dream trip, just really looking forward to the scenery, if I get to hunt that will be a plus. Thanks for the reply. James.

Southeast of La Junta, between Las Animas and Springfield. Area has great mule deer and pronghorn. It's not hard to gain access to property either if you put some time in it. It's cattle country, so the acreage is usually discussed in sections rather than acres. Get out well before the season and talk to the folks and you'll easily find property to hunt. Just don't go knocking on doors right before the season starts. Yes, you would be surprised. We had some folks knocking every year after dark on the Friday before pronghorn started.

As for prairie dogs, you'll have no problem. Almost every rancher will allow you access for them. You might even get a badger. Lots of yotes and surprisingly a large population of red foxes.