Comfortable ladder stands - such a creature?

LAKOTA

My father isn't getting any younger and he's pondering the idea of purchasing a ladder stand. He usually hauls in a Summit Viper climber, as I do.

Is there such thing as a comfortable ladder stand? Maybe one with similar seating as the Summit Vipers? I've searched the web a little and haven't saw anything yet. Every ladder stand that I have owned was uncomfortable. I've never sat in a comfortable one. Another problem is that most mfgs. position the darn footrest too far down. Us shortlegged folks end up with numb feet from hanging over the edge of the seat and not resting on the footrest.

Any suggestions?

-

Jorge

I don't know if they make ladder stands anymore, but I have an Old Man ladder stand that is really comfortable.

gadeerwoman

StrongBuilt has one that has the sling style seat. Now you talking comfortable...that thing is capital 'C' in comfort!! I also like my API grand slam ladder. Light weight, 15', easy to set up and very comfortable and it has a seat and back rest similar to the summit viper climber.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
I agree with the uncomfortable part

the only one, other than ones I built, I have been half comfortable in are the larger buddy type with the bench type seat :)

Jriley

All of them are comfortable when you see game, or for the first couple of hours. Beyond that it can go from just uncomfortable to just plain old torture. At least the ones I've hunted out of. I've found that a small cushion helps a lot.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Jriley said:
I've found that a small cushion helps a lot.

Ditto that, I always carry about a 2" thick cushion with me to the stand unless I'm hunting out of one of my climbers.

Last year at the Buckarama, there was a fellow selling them for like $6 a piece and I bought one then plus I already had one very similar to it. His was black with a shoulder strap ran through one side to aid in carrying. My other one is camo with a velcro strap that can be strapped to most anything even a belt loop. I use it on my 4-wheeler also for a second person to sit on and just leave it strapped to the rack on the 4-wheeler whenever I'm not using it on the stand.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I use one bought from the Ace Hardware in Newnan, GA. It is very comfortable. My cousin uses one also and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I don't think it is a name brand but if you are interested I can try to get you some info.

Limbshaker

GONetwork Member
I use the Buddy Stand like Leo mentioned, and mount a swivel cushioned, high back, camo boat seat, in the middle of the bench........it helps those rear end and back muscles for long sits.
HHH

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
You could build a stick built ladder stand with a large platform and install a Lazy Boy Recliner on it... :D

I understand they come in camo... :bounce:

LAKOTA

Thanks for the input. We'll definately take a look at all that were mentioned so far. We need comfortable stands as we sometimes stay in them all day long, and I've never sat in a ladder that I could be still in for more than about 2 hrs.

I may be on the lookout for one too. I've been out of work for 8 days now with a Herniated disk. Not sure if I'll be able to carry my Viper around when bow season comes. May not be able to bow hunt at all? We'll see ..

BUCKFAT

Summit Ladder Stand

HEY i just recieved my new cabelas archery magazine . They have a brand new summit ladder stand!!! ITEM #ms-41-6951 It is 18 feet tall ONLY THING IS THE COST!! $299.99

gadeerwoman

BuckFat, you can get a 20' ladder stand from sportsmans guide and cabela for both under $200. I have 2 20' footers that I love. Most stable stands I own. They have a double rail ladder that really adds to the stability. I see Sportsman's guide has another one in their latest catalog for $140 but it doesn't have the double rail. They are a little on the heavy side but I can set them up by myself by pulling up with a rope and the atv.