Commercial Zero Turn

hiawassee1

My 16 yr old son is looking to expand his lawn business, and we are looking at purchasing a used zero turn mower. Any recommendations as what to buy that is well built around the $3000 range. Trying to stay away from the residential models sold at big chain stores, I don't think they are as well constructed. Found a couple Husqvarna PZT48, and Husqvarna MZ52. Also a Bad Boy ZT Elite 48, which I know sells at Tractor Supply. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks, J.R.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Scag has always been my favorite! That's not saying they are the best! It's just the brand I like! Exmark, Gravely and Toro make good equipment.

Duff

I have a bad boy elite 55”. Love it. Very well built and built with thought. Every component is easy to access

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Scag.
Kawasaki is a good engine but the Kohler 27hp run just as well for me, as long as they have oil in them.

Don't ask.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My Hustler is well over 10 years old & still going strong. Honda engine. Another thing I like about Hustler is all decks are commercial grade, even "residential" models.

HortDawg

Hustler, been in several facets of commercial mowing they are the toughest, well built and most importantly easiest to maintain.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Bad Boy does manufacture a commercial grade mower. Any mentioned have proven themselves in the commercial market. I've got a stand on bad boy 48" cut commercial grade. Just cause I like the color and the cool decal I guess :)

Robert28

I’ll tell you the best way to go about it and how the guys I know that do commercial mowing for a living went from one mower to a whole fleet, several employees and making $$$. The secret is to not sink your money into a brand new mower, handheld tools (backpack blower, weed eater, etc) buy those new but not the mower. A lot of these companies lease these mowers for a 2-3 year lease and turn them in. They’ll have anywhere from 600-1200 hours on them but plenty of life left in them. Stop by the local commercial mower shops and tell them to call you when a used lease gets ready to be turned in, ask if they have any demos to sell, any trade ins, etc.