Compact tractors.

treemanjohn

Banned
It my understanding the red, off road diesel will go bad because bacteria will start to grow in it. Must be tough bacteria! Anyway, supposedly the low sulfur on road fuel has additives to prevent the bacteria growth. I go through lots of fuel in the summer maintaining my place so I use the red stuff and save a few pennies. I switch to the on road fuel for winter when I know I won’t use as much. I’ve never had a fuel related problem with my tractor. Fuel stabilizers can always be used if storing fuel.
There's no difference between off road and road diesel. Red dye means not taxed

Baroque Brass

There's no difference between off road and road diesel. Red dye means not taxed
How long can I store off-road or dyed diesel in a fuel tank?
Untreated, you can assume that diesel fuel is good for a year. If treated with a biocide to prevent biological growth from growing in the tank, you can expect diesel to be good for two to three years. After two to three years, diesel begins to show age as it loses its brightness when sampled. After three years you will want to sample and test the fuel to ensure it is within specification for reliable use.

lbzdually

Banned
It my understanding the red, off road diesel will go bad because bacteria will start to grow in it. Must be tough bacteria! Anyway, supposedly the low sulfur on road fuel has additives to prevent the bacteria growth. I go through lots of fuel in the summer maintaining my place so I use the red stuff and save a few pennies. I switch to the on road fuel for winter when I know I won’t use as much. I’ve never had a fuel related problem with my tractor. Fuel stabilizers can always be used if storing fuel.

I have a JD 790, which has now been discontinued. Great tractor at 30 HP, it does pretty much all I need it to. When I got it, the dealer said just don’t try to make it do more than it’s capable of and you won’t have any problems. I’ve tried to heed his advice and fourteen years later, it’s still going strong.

Good luck, and when you get your tractor you’ll wonder how you got by without it!

I have always used road legal diesel just in case. When I have my dad's 955 over, I always find stuff to use it for, from using the loader to set 4x6 posts for a building, to grading my driveway after a monsoon.

lbzdually

Banned
Whatever compact you get, 4x4 is a must have.

Yes, even with turf tires it will go a lot of places that would surprise you. I have got it stuck bad before though bush hogging the field next to my house. I had to use the loader a few inches at a time to get me out.

lbzdually

Banned
I found a used JD 2032R and I'm currently looking out the window waiting for the police to show up, because I pretty much stole it. 299 hours and came with loader, finish mower, pallet fork, and a 55 gallon duty sprayer for under 20k.

lbzdually

Banned
I have a JD 955 and 4300. Both hydro. Both 4wd.
Great tractors but I would look hard at the Kubotas.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either. I got the 2032R and when I figure in the attachments I got, they add up to over $4000, so I got the tractor and loader for about $14000. My dad's Kubota ZD326 that I have been using at my house for the last 2 years has been bulletproof, except for bad fuel that killed an injector. Now that I have a finish mower, he's selling it and a ZD21 and his John Deere 455 diesel, then his 955 and 2520 to get a 3028 JD or 3901 Kubota.

Mike 65

I don't think you can really go wrong with either. I got the 2032R and when I figure in the attachments I got, they add up to over $4000, so I got the tractor and loader for about $14000. My dad's Kubota ZD326 that I have been using at my house for the last 2 years has been bulletproof, except for bad fuel that killed an injector. Now that I have a finish mower, he's selling it and a ZD21 and his John Deere 455 diesel, then his 955 and 2520 to get a 3028 JD or 3901 Kubota.
That is a steal. And your right you can’t go wrong with either.

lbzdually

Banned
This tractor is like a little bulldozer. It will flat out move some dirt, even more than the 955. I have found one problem though. Whoever had it before used it around some caustic powder and the hydraulic lines going to the loader have frozen to the tractor. I don't see anyway to get them lose without breaking them. I have tried tapping them all the way around to break the rust then using a big pair of channelocks, but no luck so far. Any ideas?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
This tractor is like a little bulldozer. It will flat out move some dirt, even more than the 955. I have found one problem though. Whoever had it before used it around some caustic powder and the hydraulic lines going to the loader have frozen to the tractor. I don't see anyway to get them lose without breaking them. I have tried tapping them all the way around to break the rust then using a big pair of channelocks, but no luck so far. Any ideas?
Kroil oil will work if it going to turn loose without use of heat.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I’m a Massey man my whole life all we have had was Massey except for one Deere.

Not thing wrong with a Kubota my cousin bought one and loves it. They were Massey people too

We have owned 35-80ish hp tractors all we have now are 60+
We have a Massey 383 now that if it ever does we may have to shut the farm down

Whatever you buy A GOOD DEALER is one of the most important things.

I have a Kubota L3300 GST. But my main “go to” tractor for real work is my MF 135 Diesel. My Daddy bought it new in 1972 when I was 17. I’m 65 now and money won’t buy it.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have a Kubota L3300 GST. But my main “go to” tractor for real work is my MF 135 Diesel. My Daddy bought it new in 1972 when I was 17. I’m 65 now and money won’t buy it.
Pretty sure that was what my pawpaw had when I was a kid. Learned to drive a tractor on one of those.