Computer Help...being attacked by pop-ups

gobblinglawyer

My computer is being attacked by pop-ups. Heck, when I came over to Woody's and clicked on a post about a "check book" the word was underlined and I could click on it to view places to purchase checks on the internet.

It also appears that about 15 new "folders" have been added to my "favorities" menu?

What's up with this crap? ::huh:

I could use some help. You computer guru's get to typing. :type:

rip18

Good luck! It looks like a few of us have been having similar problems. Thanks to advice I got here a couple of weeks ago, I downloaded & ran SpyBot as well as updating my AdAware which allowed me to get rid of the new favorites temporarily. I kept re-running those things & was getting rid of 4 to 8 "problems" a run. I finally deleted my McAfee Antivirus & re-installed it and found EIGHT viruses that I hadn't found when simply up-dating. I don't know what the deal was.

Bottom line, it took SpyBot, AdAware, & McAfee to stop my problems. Some of these other folks definitely know more about computers than me.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

Rock Bottom

Help fellors I'm in the same boat and I don't know anything about puters
I guess I will wait on the wife to get home and figure it out

Woodsong

go see my post from within the last day or so. I had the same problem only spybot, ad-aware, spycop, norton, and AVG all could not heal it. i had to run hijackthis and get someone to help me that could read hijack logs to clean it out. I am still NOT there and still being impacted in a big way...MAJOR HEADACHE!!!!

I will try and be on the board more when I get this thing fixed!! It ain't pretty!!!

Anyone here know how to decifer hijackthis logs and determine what to delete or not? I have done 4 hijackthis logs and have had advice on quite a few items to remove. Problem is that I cannot seem to get to the files I need to delete off the C drive (windows, program files, and system32) while I am in safemode. Thus, when I come back in regular boot mode I get reinfected. I have the show hidden folders, etc. cleared per symantics website checklist but I still cannot see these critical files when I am in safemode despite repeated attempts.
I have at least gotten rid of the desktop icons and the begin2Search toolbar but I am still infected with the spyware junk BIG TIME!

This is all I have done for 2 days!!!!!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
This is exactly what happened to my system. Started out with a few pop-ups. I downloaded Ad-Aware and started cleaning the stuff up. But I or one of my kids accidently left my internet connection up over night and next thing I know I got stuff Ad-Aware would not remove. Guys in our computer department at work said that that someone hi-jacked my system and used it like a server to send junk all over the place. My system finally crashed. I had to re-install all my software. I bought and installed McAfee and It seems to be keeping the crap out. I checked last night after being on line for an hour and it had blocked 279 attempts to get into my system in just an hour. :eek:

L

loouuii

Popup Killer

I use popup killer and get few if any popups. Also make sure that those popups arent coming in under windows messenger. I deleted my windows messenger and stopped all of those too.

Spybot is only good for removing cookies, it wont stop popups. I think spybot is free for a trial and then there is a fee for it. :shoot: :type: