Computer Networking Student

ccross

I am currently attending Lanier Tech for an Associates Degree in Computer Networking specializing in Linux/Unix. An entry level help desk or something in that area would be great and also further me in my career process. Also, I would like to mention that it doesn't necessarily have to in the IT field for right now as I have had numerous jobs in the past. I have a resume for anyone who may require a look at it. Thanks for everyone's help, Cole.

egomaniac247

Good luck. I feel for college kids coming out of school right now. I have a similar degree & lucked out and hit the 2000-2001 hiring frenzy prior to the big bust. Even then I still complained that employers want experience but if you can't get an entry level job how do you get experience? Good luck to you!

ccross

I forgot to mention I was in the U.S. Army for three year, I have Law Enforcement experience (three years), two years retail, and I can weld. If this helps any as much of this is covered on my Resume.

Fletch_W

Banned
Have you considered getting your Bachelor's Degree instead of just an associate's? There are a lot of qualified people out there right now, looking for work. Having no experience and just an associate's degree puts you at the bottom of the pile.

243Savage

With your miltary service, you'll have vet preference points if want to consider federal employment. Willing to relocate?

Go here: http://www.usajobs.com/

Select "advanced search" and search these series numbers: 0335, 2210

Anything help desk related will most likey be classified as a 0335, along with other IT related jobs not classifiable as a 2210. The 2210 series are the more technically skilled jobs such as sys admins for example.

jbdial1515

Make sure you search on the 2210 series and not just 335 as not all 2210's are sys admins. I would really consider applying for Federal Service. With Veteran's preference, you may have a pretty good chance of at least getting on a Certification for hire (meaning at least be considered). The 2210 series could be anything from Hardware/software support to programming, web design, and anything under the sun. 335 really starts to show when administrative functions start to become part of the Position Description or job duties. Obviously, 2210 is considered the most desirable by most, but at this point, a foot in the door is the best.