Concealed Carry Insurance Companies

dslc6487

Do any of you have insurance with one of the concealed carry insurance companies?
I know that USCCA is one and there are several others. Thinking about buying a policy but
want some advice and opinions if any one out there has a policy. Thanks my friends

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
First I've heard of concealed carry insurance.
I carry a liability umbrella policy that covers me and everyone that lives with me.
$1M coverage for $300 a year.

Artfuldodger

First I've heard of concealed carry insurance.
I carry a liability umbrella policy that covers me and everyone that lives with me.
$1M coverage for $300 a year.
There may be some gray area as to what that umbrella covers. Some only cover accidental gun discharge. I mean if you were found innocent of manslaughter but guilty in a liable court? Plus does that umbrella cover your lawyer's fees?
I don't know either, just trying to learn.

SWAMPFOX

I'm not an attorney but it's my understanding that if you shoot someone, even if you are found innocent of a criminal act, the dead guy's estate or the live guy can still sue you in civil court for any number of things. In Florida we have the "Stand Your Ground" law but even when that applies you can still be sued in civil court so I've heard.

As a friend once told me, "You can sue anybody for anything at anytime as long as you can find a lawyer who'll take the case."

notnksnemor

There may be some gray area as to what that umbrella covers. Some only cover accidental gun discharge. I mean if you were found innocent of manslaughter but guilty in a liable court? Plus does that umbrella cover your lawyer's fees?
I don't know either, just trying to learn.

The umbrella policy doesn't cover criminal charges only civil liability.
The insurance company fights it. They are the lawyers.
It's not just for firearms related issues. It covers anything I am sued for up to $1M.

Artfuldodger

I would think it's however an Umbrella Policy is written. Reading this;

Umbrella Coverage

Many people think that if they buy generic liability coverage, often called an "umbrella" policy, they will be protected if they use a gun in self defense. However, it is against the law for any insurance company to insure you against illegal actions you may commit.

So if you are charged with a crime, your umbrella policy will not protect you unless charges are dropped or you are acquitted. It is possible that an umbrella policy may provide some coverage for civil liability, but since civil suits generally follow criminal suits, you are unlikely to have coverage when you need it.

Artfuldodger

I'm just trying to see this in today's world and the way people think about guns nowadays. Many Lawyers are anti-gun. I'd rather have a lawyer that is pro-gun and pro-2A in my court. I mean if I'm found guilty, that umbrella policy may not cover even in a Civil Suit that follows. Part of what you get with the Carry policies are lawyers.

Let's say I'm raking leaves and this guy runs past me and my neighbor says "stop that man, he just raped me." I pull my weapon and tell him to stop. He then runs towards me. At that point I have to either run or shoot. Suppose I shoot and kill and later find out he did not rape my neighbor? I've just committed manslaughter and if found guilty, my Umbrella policy may not help in either my criminal defense or my civil lawsuit.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If you use a gun in self defense, you ARE ABSOLUTELY gonna get sued in civil court.

It does not matter if you are right, wrong, or if you are charged with any crime or not.

You have no duty to stop the guy who raped your neighbor, and you better dang well stay out of it unless YOU or YOURS are in immediate grave danger.

In today's world "The Hero" is gonna get screwed to the wall.

Just the way it is...

notnksnemor

I'm just trying to see this in today's world and the way people think about guns nowadays. Many Lawyers are anti-gun. I'd rather have a lawyer that is pro-gun and pro-2A in my court. I mean if I'm found guilty, that umbrella policy may not cover even in a Civil Suit that follows. Part of what you get with the Carry policies are lawyers.

Let's say I'm raking leaves and this guy runs past me and my neighbor says "stop that man, he just raped me." I pull my weapon and tell him to stop. He then runs towards me. At that point I have to either run or shoot. Suppose I shoot and kill and later find out he did not rape my neighbor? I've just committed manslaughter and if found guilty, my Umbrella policy may not help in either my criminal defense or my civil lawsuit.

A call to your insurance agent will probably provide many answers.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I'm not an attorney but it's my understanding that if you shoot someone, even if you are found innocent of a criminal act, the dead guy's estate or the live guy can still sue you in civil court for any number of things. In Florida we have the "Stand Your Ground" law but even when that applies you can still be sued in civil court so I've heard.

As a friend once told me, "You can sue anybody for anything at anytime as long as you can find a lawyer who'll take the case."

News to me. Doesn’t surprise me a bit though.

Tight Lines

CCWSafe, Ultimate plan for both wife and I is $793 per year...unlimited attorneys, defended Zimmerman in Florida...

I also have an umbrella that covers the family...

TL60

We both have US Lawshield. Looked like the best affordable option for us. And they did a free half day at the range event a couple of months ago, that was cool.

https://www.uslawshield.com/

TL60

I imagine it is so competitors can't see it either.

I'll look back but they have a couple of different options for things like out of state travel etc. Back to you in a bit

TL60

with some discounts from signing up at a basic handgun law seminar thing we paid 350 for the year. They are legit and so far the events and online podcasts are very informative. Plan on renewing in Dec for sure.

Tight Lines

with some discounts from signing up at a basic handgun law seminar thing we paid 350 for the year. They are legit and so far the events and online podcasts are very informative. Plan on renewing in Dec for sure.
Thank you for the follow-up!

TL60

Glad to help. The more research I did made it a no brainer. Should you have to use your weapon, Call 911 and just tell them there has been a shooting at this address, send LEO & ambulance and hang up. Call the hotline for them and then sit and shut up until your attorney arrives on site.

No speculation, just follow these steps....

TL60

Finally remembered the class thing we went to, Focused Fire Training. Mini seminar thing for $20, nothing fancy but good starting info.