Confederate Ancestors

Cool Hand Luke

In the wake of what's happening in our society today, I would like to pay tribute to all who fought in the War between the States. Name your ancestors who fought. Did some research years ago and found two on my fathers side and one on my mothers side so I'll start.

R.I.P. warriors!

John W. Taylor Co. G 3rd TN Inf. - Liberty, Giles County, TN
John W. Taylor.jpg

Major General Everett Hamilton Doles - born in Milledgeville, Baldwin County 1828 departed this life 1869
Everett Hamilton Doles.jpg

BGen George Pierce Doles - born in Milledgeville, Baldwin County 1830, departed this life at The Battle of Cold Harbor 1864 at age 34.
George Pierce Doles.jpgGP Doles headstone.jpg

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My Great Great Grandpa Beareyan C. Baker. Civil War Veteran, Pvt, Company K, 48th Regiment, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of Northern Virginia, Columbia County Georgia Hamilton Rangers. He lost a hand at Gettysburg.

Berry Baker.jpg

Oldstick

Probably others, but the only one I have heard of is my Paternal Great-GrandDad, Thomas Franklin Greer, who entered the 11th GA Regiment at 20 then became Captain in the 2nd Maryland Calvary.

westcobbdog

I have everything from a Brig Gen., Drayton, to privates and sargents, still finding them.
Records can be tough to find along with the fact many rebs signed up later in the war.
Few I can remember off the cuff:
Gen Thomas F Drayton
His bro Percival stayed Union and was high up in the Navy, they dueled it out at Port Royal.
3-4 other Drayton from S Carolina were Rebs.
2-3 Thomas’ from Milledegville.
My Grandma’s 2-3 GG was a man named John Thomas, he supplied the reb army with goods, even at 80-90 yrs old, died at over 100.
my GGG Grandfather Francis Stone of Atl and Decatur who made it all the way to Bentonville and the surrender with Joe Johnson. who had no shoes and bloody bare feet late war and faced capture as the rebs retreated, he a dutiful soldier and a Sargent, was given a horse by Reb Cav. avoiding certain capture, who came uopn a huge pile of blankets and pots and pans and supplies and decided to grab a bunch for the boys, at the same moment Forrest rode up and gave him a tongue lashing for being a greedy slacker. That must of stung!
The 66th Ga Inf I think we’re the Oglethorpes, his outfit.
4 or more Stones
A few named Goss’
I only know my Paternal side, too.
Also have a few post war letters from Jeff Davis to Drayton.
Forget Heck!

Last edited:

westcobbdog

Now we know where you got your good looks :flag:
In the wake of what's happening in our society today, I would like to pay tribute to all who fought in the War between the States. Name your ancestors who fought. Did some research years ago and found two on my fathers side and one on my mothers side so I'll start.

R.I.P. warriors!

John W. Taylor Co. G 3rd TN Inf. - Liberty, Giles County, TN
View attachment 1024969

Major General Everett Hamilton Doles - born in Milledgeville, Baldwin County 1828 departed this life 1869
View attachment 1024968

BGen George Pierce Doles - born in Milledgeville, Baldwin County 1830, departed this life at The Battle of Cold Harbor 1864 at age 34.
View attachment 1024966View attachment 1024967
Very cool Luke, Gen Doles was the man! Huge blow to leadership when he was gone.
Guessing Doles would have known my Grandmas family, the Thomas’ of Milledgeville.

Cool Hand Luke

I have everything from a Brig Gen., Drayton, to privates and sargents, still finding them.
Records can be tough to find along with the fact many rebs signed up later in the war.
Few I can remember off the cuff:
Gen Thomas F Drayton
His bro Percival stayed Union and was high up in the Navy, they dueled it out at Port Royal.
3-4 other Drayton from S Carolina were Rebs.
2-3 Thomas’ from Milledegville.
My Grandma’s 2-3 GG was a man named John Thomas, he supplied the reb army with goods, even at 80-90 yrs old, died at over 100.
my GGG Grandfather Francis Stone of Atl and Decatur who made it all the way to Bentonville and the surrender with Joe Johnson. who had no shoes and bloody bare feet late war and faced capture as the rebs retreated, he a dutiful soldier and a Sargent, was given a horse by Reb Cav. avoiding certain capture, who came uopn a huge pile of blankets and pots and pans and supplies and decided to grab a bunch for the boys, at the same moment Forrest rode up and gave him a tongue lashing for being a greedy slacker. That must of stung!
The 66th Ga Inf I think we’re the Oglethorpes, his outfit.
4 or more Stones
A few named Goss’
I only know my Paternal side, too.
Also have a few post war letters from Jeff Davis to Drayton.
Forget Heck!

Thats good stuff. Story I heard about John Taylor is he was wounded and crawled from wherever he was at through the mountains and snow to his home in TN. Just what I was told....

Forget Heck is right!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One of mine that paid the ultimate price somewhere in Mississippi was my great-great-grandfather pvt. John E. Green, 29th NC Infantry, Company E (Haywood Fire Shooters. )

My great great great grandfather was killed in the defense of Columbia S.C in February 1865. No body was recovered. From what I can find, his body was lost or destroyed. I haven’t been able to find enlistment records due to the fact that he did not have a middle name and apparently used J. Derrick. Still trying to find his enlistment by district/county. But the county lines changed too. The only way (maybe) that I can say that he enlisted early was his children born in 51, 53, 55, 59, and then August of 1865. Still digging.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
John Edward Darsey, pvt, Co K, 16th GA (then to Co C, 20th Batt GA Partisan Rangers, Millen's Batt. Originally organized as the Jennings Rangers and later became part of Co E of the 8th Regt GA Cavalry)

George David Darsey, pvt, Co K, 16th GA, Originally organized as the Ramsey Volunteers (Elected Capt. - Wounded & disabled at the Wilderness)

Francis Madison Darsey Sgt, Co K, 16th GA, Originally organized as the Ramsey Volunteers (killed at Crampton's Gap South Mountain 2 days before Antietam)

William B Lamkin, pvt, Co K, 48th GA, Originally organized as the Hamilton Rangers(later the Surgeon's Clerk then a Hospital Steward)

Turner C Lamkin, KIA, Co C, 20th Batt GA Partisan Rangers, Millen's Batt. Originally organized as the Jennings Rangers and later became part of Co E of the 8th Regt GA Cavalry.

Francis Edgeworth Eve, Capt Co E. Phillips Legion Cavalry. Originally organized as the Richmond Dragoons.

John Bell, engineer on the Ga RR considered military service during the war

There are others not yet researched.

westcobbdog

My great great great grandfather was killed in the defense of Columbia S.C in February 1865. No body was recovered. From what I can find, his body was lost or destroyed. I haven’t been able to find enlistment records due to the fact that he did not have a middle name and apparently used J. Derrick. Still trying to find his enlistment by district/county. But the county lines changed too. The only way (maybe) that I can say that he enlisted early was his children born in 51, 53, 55, 59, and then August of 1865. Still digging.
Good luck, Fold 3 and that NPS site Soldiers and Sailors System are good for searching.