Confederate Ancestors

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My fourth great grandfather Leonard Wills. Buried at Mt. Moriah Church cemetery in Paulding county.

WOW. For someone to live 103 years in those times was really something. Life expectancy for men in that day was only about 40 I think.

westcobbdog

Here are a few Rebs and 1 Yank I am related to. Likely have a few more to discover.

Francis Stone Private Co A 12 Ga Batt light artillery
63rd and 66th Ga Inf Regiment my GG Grandfather
Osborne Stone 63rd and 66th Ga. ( his bro. )
Charles Stone his other bro.

Augustus Stone 30th Ga. '

Brig Gen. Thomas F Drayton SC my GG Grandfather 1828 West Point Grad.
his buddy was Jeff Davis,

Percival Drayton SC In the US Navy long before the war, he stayed with the Union.
Commanded the Flag ship for Farragut and was near him when he declared " darn the torpedo's full speed ahead"
These 2 Bro's dueled it out at the battle of Port Royal ( Hilton Head ) won by the powerful union Navy.

John G Thomas from Milledgeville, a farmer in N Fla at outbreak. joined
Co D. 1st Fla Infantry Reg't for a 1 yr enlistment, then
joined Lil' Joe Wheelers Cav where he made Major.
Lastly in his bro's command, the 18th Fla Inf Reg't.

Brig Gen. Bryan Morel Thomas from Milledgeville, attended West Point
married Gen Withers Daughter
commander in the 18th Fla under his FIL.

Henry P Thomas 45th Ga Inf Reg't. The Myrick Volunteers out of Baldwin Co.
Captured at Jericho Falls VA May 64'
Paroled Point Lookout MD. Feb 65'

Branch Cheatham Va Reb My Father in Law's ( 93 years old ) Grandfather.

Joseph Leddingham SC Killed in action

Thomas Radcliffe SC SC Infantry

John Hamilton Goss MD Decatur Ga Co K 1st Confed. Engineer Troops
enlisted at Harry SC assigned to Fort Fisher.

John C Kirkpatrick Decatur Ga 66th Ga

Brad Pennie Midwestern Union soldier, my Mother in laws relative.

Resica

Here are a few Rebs and 1 Yank I am related to. Likely have a few more to discover.

Francis Stone Private Co A 12 Ga Batt light artillery
63rd and 66th Ga Inf Regiment my GG Grandfather
Osborne Stone 63rd and 66th Ga. ( his bro. )
Charles Stone his other bro.

Augustus Stone 30th Ga. '

Brig Gen. Thomas F Drayton SC my GG Grandfather 1828 West Point Grad.
his buddy was Jeff Davis,

Percival Drayton SC In the US Navy long before the war, he stayed with the Union.
Commanded the Flag ship for Farragut and was near him when he declared " darn the torpedo's full speed ahead"
These 2 Bro's dueled it out at the battle of Port Royal ( Hilton Head ) won by the powerful union Navy.

John G Thomas from Milledgeville, a farmer in N Fla at outbreak. joined
Co D. 1st Fla Infantry Reg't for a 1 yr enlistment, then
joined Lil' Joe Wheelers Cav where he made Major.
Lastly in his bro's command, the 18th Fla Inf Reg't.

Brig Gen. Bryan Morel Thomas from Milledgeville, attended West Point
married Gen Withers Daughter
commander in the 18th Fla under his FIL.

Henry P Thomas 45th Ga Inf Reg't. The Myrick Volunteers out of Baldwin Co.
Captured at Jericho Falls VA May 64'
Paroled Point Lookout MD. Feb 65'

Branch Cheatham Va Reb My Father in Law's ( 93 years old ) Grandfather.

Joseph Leddingham SC Killed in action

Thomas Radcliffe SC SC Infantry

John Hamilton Goss MD Decatur Ga Co K 1st Confed. Engineer Troops
enlisted at Harry SC assigned to Fort Fisher.

John C Kirkpatrick Decatur Ga 66th Ga

Brad Pennie Midwestern Union soldier, my Mother in laws relative.
That's quite the family lineage West Cobb!!!!

ghadarits

Cool thread I’ve read it a few times. We shouldn’t forget the men who fought in the Civil War on either side. It’s a huge part of our countries history for good or bad that some are trying to erase. Neither side of my family was here yet to be involved on either side. My Hungarian Grandfather did have German and Italian prisoners of war working at their South Georgia woodmill during WWII. I’ve always thought that was cool and most people don’t realize that went on.

GTMODawg

BANNED
My family was hid out in the mountains of NW Georgia, southern Tennessee and NE Alabama and, according to family lore, had nothing at all to do with the confederacy. They lived in an area that was isolated from the rest of the United States and was largely anti-secession while also being anti-union....they had come from Ireland and had had a belly full of government of any kind. The only interactions they had, again according to family lore, was fighting with the home guard. those too sorry to be soldiers and consisted of thieves empowered by the CSA to steal anything that wasn't nailed down in their area. This was way more common in the south than those who romanticize the confederacy want to admit. Most southerners were forced by wealthy elites to be involved in a struggle between wealthy people trying to gain a competitive edge over one another fought with the lives of poor people...they did not go willingly and about 12% walked back home and stayed at the first opportunity to do so.

Of course there is no way to know for certain if this lore is true or not but I choose to think it is. I would much prefer to think my ancestors stayed home and took care of their families and weren't forced to do the bidding of a wealthy person with zero interest in the south other than the exploitation of natural resources and poor people for their own personal enrichment. The people who did manage to stay home or desert the first chance they got and weren't thieving scoundrels are the ones deserving monuments and rememberance...and they were the majority of southerners who weren't enslaved. No doubt that 40% of the south who were enslaved at the time was more or less opposed to the confederacy......only a small minority of southerners were loyal to the confederacy.

westcobbdog

But i do know some Home Guard we’re worse than Yankees and some rebs deserted to protect their exposed families from bushwhackers and the Home Guard there to protect them.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It happened. It happens in all wars. The scale suggested above is more than doubted.