Considering a Muzzle Loader

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Tell me all you know.

Not 100% sure, but will probably just get a 50 cal barrel for my TC.

What else will I need in the way of powder, caps, bullets etc etc etc?

If I decide to get another gun altogether, what do you suggest and why?

Jim

bull0ne

Banned
I would go with the encore ML barrel.....it worth it just to be pulling the same trigger that you are familiar with.

Bender can correct me if i'm wrong but you can use the ML in the Ill. shotgun season with a scope if you decide to get in the draw for a buck tag in the future...or the late ML season but not sure on the scope.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
encore in 45 or 50 :clap: :clap:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
bull0ne said:
Bender can correct me if i'm wrong but you can use the ML in the Ill. shotgun season with a scope if you decide to get in the draw for a buck tag in the future...or the late ML season but not sure on the scope.

this will be good to know well in advance, our trip next year will be IL.

Jim

H

HT2

J T........

Yes sir!!!!!!!!!

Get the .50 caliber barrel for the T/C..........

Then get the "777" pellets, the 209 primers, and whatever bullets you want.........I prefer the T/C sabots......(240 grain).

Then you are set........

fredw

Retired Moderator
Jim, you'll get a lot of opinions here on what bullet/powder to use.

Personally, I use pyrodex pellets and Hornady sabots. My Ultra-Mag likes the combo.

Other things that you'll need/find useful: a good cleaning brush in the caliber you select, good quality solvent to clean the gun after firing it, a ball puller (useful if you can't remove the breech plug), a capper, a ball starter for initially seating the sabot.

Mac

agree on the 209 X 50 for the encore

I got one after last season.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
fredw said:
Other things that you'll need/find useful: a good cleaning brush in the caliber you select, good quality solvent to clean the gun after firing it, a ball puller (useful if you can't remove the breech plug), a capper, a ball starter for initially seating the sabot.

FRed, is the solvent the same on a muzzleloader as on a rifle?

H

HT2

J T...........

When you use to "777" pellets you won't believe how clean they burn......

Of course you'll still have to clean it regularly, but the difference between the "777" pellets and regular pyrodex powder is unreal........(How little it dirty's up the barrel).

DaddyPaul

JT,
The make blackpowder specific cleaners that will do the job pretty easily. I usually use a "spit patch" between shots to keep fouling to a minimum when sighting in and it gives you better shot to shot consistency. Mine will do about 1.5-2"s at 100 yards with a scope on it.