Conversation with DNR Turkey Project Biologist Emily Rushton

Agreed! I spent thousands of $$ and sweat equity trying to get quail numbers back up ...we had a tornado which radically changed the landscape and I've seen more quail than I've seen in years. Conversely, it took out major hardwoods where our turkeys always roosted...and already low turkey numbers got worse.

saltysenior

A possible factor (that has no answer) , is that just about ALL ground nesting birds are on a decline.....In Europe too.

buckpasser

They are all federally protected, DNR has no jurisdiction over migratory birds.

Maybe they’d turn a blind eye to some “management” of them then. :censored:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Maybe they’d turn a blind eye to some “management” of them then. :censored:

I wish they would allow some sort of quota for each species for the states to permit take when it's warranted like they do with geese. Chihuahua breeders and red-tailed hawks don't get along.

Does anyone know if the DNR has determined any of the following?

Are we seeing a lower poult survival after hatching?
Or
Are we seeing hens laying less eggs?
Or
Are we seeing less hatching of eggs due to a lack of fertilization?

Meaning if hens are laying less eggs the poult survival rate would appear to be much lower. Also if the hens are only successful in hatching 50% of their eggs due to a low fertilization rate the recruitment would also be less.

I used to find nests with up to 20 eggs in them. The last nest I found had 6 eggs. I guess thats where I was going with my questions above. Just wondering if the DNR had anything to verify any of this information.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
I wish they would allow some sort of quota for each species for the states to permit take when it's warranted like they do with geese. Chihuahua breeders and red-tailed hawks don't get along.
Good luck getting anything removed after it's protected by the feds. Look at wolves and grizzlies in the west. Many are just going to the 3 S management strategy.

Does anyone know if the DNR has determined any of the following?

Are we seeing a lower poult survival after hatching?
Or
Are we seeing hens laying less eggs?
Or
Are we seeing less hatching of eggs due to a lack of fertilization?

Meaning if hens are laying less eggs the poult survival rate would appear to be much lower. Also if the hens are only successful in hatching 50% of their eggs due to a low fertilization rate the recruitment would also be less.

I used to find nests with up to 20 eggs in them. The last nest I found had 6 eggs. I guess thats where I was going with my questions above. Just wondering if the DNR had anything to verify any of this information.

Thanks.

Those are good questions. Ask her. And please report back her answer. emily.rushton@dnr.ga.gov

Quackmasterofgeorgia

I

It was brought up at the public meeting I attended to make zones for turkeys. The biologist there said “it makes it more complicated and people complain”.

The state I hunted that I have seen the most turkeys in my life was Illinois. They have multiple week long seasons and you have to have a tag for the specific week and specific county. You have to apply for tags and then leftovers are sold IN PERSON, over the counter.
That’s a lot more complicated than splitting the state of Georgia into three zones and let seasons open accordingly. I have hunted all over this state, and if I still lived in South Georgia I’d be upset over the delayed start, but it doesn’t bother me in north Georgia.
About as complicated as a different opener on public land, and you still have people reporting birds on wma’s that are closed.

spencer12

That looks like “fowl pox”. Pretty tough on them if it presents on the eyelids.
Yes there are two forms, dry fowl pox which is just legions and although they look horrendous very rarely is it fatal. However, wet fowl pox is the same virus that infects the mouth and esophagus this version is very often fatal. It is passed on by mosquitoes and if I’m correct is present in most wild bird populations. Once they get it and survive it they have some forms of immunity that (I believe) can be passed on to their offspring. (Could be wrong there). Fowl pox isn’t really a problem imo, blackhead disease would be a problem and imo is probably in some form or other affecting populations.