Converting a rem 700adl to bdl

sghoghunter

Has anyone done this conversions? I watched a video and it seems to be fairly easy but I can’t seem to find the right floor plate and screws.

sghoghunter

It’s an ADL. The reason I’m asking is I’m wanting to change the stock. The one I found that I’m wanting is for a BDL though

Jester896

Senior Clown
That's fine...it will make it an easier swap for you. Just checking to make sure you didn't want to inlet your ADL stock.

You should be able to use your existing 2 end screws. The center screw (that everyone over torques) you will no longer need. I think the only differences are the mag box...the follower should be the same...and the spring is the same if I remember right.

Don't know if you are able to just eBay the parts you need. Are you looking for Black/Silver L/A or S/A

here is RedHawk Rifles link if you ended up getting new.

sghoghunter

I came up with this conversion piece when I was looking around. Instead of having a hinged floor plate it adds a 5 round magazine. I watched a couple videos on YouTube and it’s plain and simple and half the price

Attachments

• EE500D75-1AEF-4F51-BF1A-21CAA557A772.png
    EE500D75-1AEF-4F51-BF1A-21CAA557A772.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 17

Jester896

Senior Clown
if you don't mind a polymer unit that will work fine. The one for the MagPul Hunter Stock is the same type. I have looked at them in the past, but I think my hesitance was I was not able to determine if they used AICS patterned mags or not. If they did I would buy 1 tomorrow. That may not matter to you.

The only other thought I would have... either way is...is this stock you are looking at pillar bedded or block bedded? What would the torque spec be? How strong would the polymer be maintaining that torque.

sghoghunter

This is the stock I’m looking at. Was looking at a McMillian but can’t see almost $600 just for the stock.

Attachments

• 1B1F2E17-BACF-4896-8C14-D516A8F51429.png
    1B1F2E17-BACF-4896-8C14-D516A8F51429.png
    569.9 KB · Views: 21

sghoghunter

I love a Rem 700 BDL rifle, got several, my favorite in 7mm08. Sweet... Good luck in your conversion.

I don’t have BDL but this particular 700 was my first gun that I bought brand new myself around 31 years ago. I killed a many critters with it till around 10 yrs ago. It’s been the king of the safe for a while now

Jester896

Senior Clown
Last edited:

Darkhorse

If I were converting an ADL to a BDL I would seek out a hinged floorplate set up just like they come from the factory.
I have had many clip fed guns, and right now I have a Tikka clip fed and a Browning semi clip fed, and none are as efficient a hunter as my old BDL.
Maybe you just got try one for awhile and see if it grows on you.

sghoghunter

No sir I really don’t need one that big and heavy built but it’s kinda like one of them things that I want. I’ve always loved the way a Thompson center rifle feels and my Xbolt feels like it was custom made for my hands and I think that stock would feel good too. That gun doesn’t get hunted with so weight isn’t a problem

sghoghunter

If I were converting an ADL to a BDL I would seek out a hinged floorplate set up just like they come from the factory.
I have had many clip fed guns, and right now I have a Tikka clip fed and a Browning semi clip fed, and none are as efficient a hunter as my old BDL.
Maybe you just got try one for awhile and see if it grows on you.

Every rifle I have has a magazine except this 700. I would take a magazine over the hinged floor plate any day. Pull magazine and your done. Flip floor plate down then you got to put ammo back in the box

Jester896

Senior Clown
No sir I really don’t need one that big and heavy built but it’s kinda like one of them things that I want. I’ve always loved the way a Thompson center rifle feels and my Xbolt feels like it was custom made for my hands and I think that stock would feel good too. That gun doesn’t get hunted with so weight isn’t a problem
:D you know more about what you want...that was the point of my question I guess.

I use a Manners T2A on my long range gun and have added an ARCA rail to the bottom since I bought it and I love it. Very close to what you are looking at except the cheek piece is adjustable. I like the way the stock slopes and the way it works a bag with me...better than the straight type with the hook.

Darkhorse

Every rifle I have has a magazine except this 700. I would take a magazine over the hinged floor plate any day. Pull magazine and your done. Flip floor plate down then you got to put ammo back in the box

I think it's a matter of perspective. Though I agree on one point, "Pull magazine and your done" I pulled the clip on my Tikka during deer season and I was done. Still can't figure where it got off to. I've had this rifle 10 years or so and this is the first clip that lost it's way.
I feel about like my floorplate as you do a magazine. I open the floorplate and all the rounds drop in my palm then into my pocket, close the floorplate and I'm done until next time.
Good thing we got a variety to choose from as we all like something different.

rmp

The conversion is simple as mentioned above.
Whatever stock you decide to try, have it inlet for an M5 bottom metal. It will accept those from APA, Badger, Hawkins, and others yet if you feel the need to change things up and go in BDL fashion, you can get an M5 Oberndorf from Hawkins.
As much as I love Manners and McMillan stocks, I waited nearly 8 months for my last SuperLight from Tom. Getting a flat-top inlet is much faster but neither never seem to have what I want. I’m trying AG Composites on my next build.