Cool Article about PSA's barrel factory

transfixer

Interesting, although I've never heard anyone brag about the accuracy of PSA barrels, and I don't believe they have an accuracy warranty like some of the other companies?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Don't recall that they do. I've got a PSA upper and have no problem with keeping it in a 2 inch grouping at 100 yds. I'm sure it would perform better with better bullets and optics (and shooter).

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting, although I've never heard anyone brag about the accuracy of PSA barrels, and I don't believe they have an accuracy warranty like some of the other companies?
My PSA 7.62x39 will shoot <1" at 100 with the right ammo if I do my part. My 5.56 PSA is <2". One of my barrels is stamped FN.

transfixer

I have nothing against PSA, I know quite a few people that have lowers from them, and also complete rifles, but I've always been told they buy a lot of their items in bulk from other manufacturers , and simply finish them in house. for some reason I thought they bought their barrels from other companies, Anderson manufacturing being one of them, and evidently FN since NCH has one labeled as such, I have noticed PSA doesn't sell barrels by themselves, which is odd if they have a sister company making them for them ? For those of us that prefer to put one together ourselves, picking and choosing components, which has become a huge market in the AR world, I would expect PSA to sell barrels seperately?

I try to buy all my barrels from a company that guarantees 1moa or better, and I usually end up with 4 or 5 different manufacturers components in my rifles.

transfixer

1" and under groups are not hard to get with an AR, especially with 16in or longer barrels, my .300bo upper I gave to a good friend would consistently shoot 3/4in groups at 100 with good ammo, I'm putting together a .223wylde 16in barrel upper together now I expect the same from, I have a .300bo 10.5 in upper that I get 1 1/4in groups at 100yds with, a good barrel and a little care when assembling , plus a good trigger and its not hard to do .

dwhee87

My PSA 7.62x39 will shoot <1" at 100 with the right ammo if I do my part. My 5.56 PSA is <2". One of my barrels is stamped FN.

You have one of their AR-platform 7.62x39's, or one of their AK platform rifles? I've been thinking about one in that caliber, but can't decide.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You have one of their AR-platform 7.62x39's, or one of their AK platform rifles? I've been thinking about one in that caliber, but can't decide.
AR-15. Great little rifle. It's become my go-to 100 yard woods hunting rifle. I've killed several deer, yotes, and other critters with it so far. Runs flawlessly and quite accurate. The only downside of that caliber in the AR platform is that you have to get dedicated mags instead of using the 5.56 ones, but that's no big deal at all. CPD makes some great quality 7.62x39 AR mags.

dwhee87

AR-15. Great little rifle. It's become my go-to 100 yard woods hunting rifle. I've killed several deer, yotes, and other critters with it so far. Runs flawlessly and quite accurate. The only downside of that caliber in the AR platform is that you have to get dedicated mags instead of using the 5.56 ones, but that's no big deal at all. CPD makes some great quality 7.62x39 AR mags.

Thanks for the feedback. May have to sell one of my SKS's to make room in the safe.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NCH, I may have asked you this before when I was considering one, but what type ammo are you seeing the best results with? Steel or brass. I ask because I have an SKS that'll eat steel like a monkey on a cupcake, and a Ruger mini-30 that is a little more finicky so I prefer to run brass in it (although it will run steel, I just don't trust it) but it's a lot more expensive as you know. I figure as long as I have those two, I don't really need an AR in it but would do it in heartbeat for right price as long as it'll run reliably on steel ammo.
Mine runs very reliably on anything you feed it. I've ran hundreds of rounds of Wolf Military Classic and Brown Bear and other surplus steel-cased through it, and it goes bangbangbang just like my SKS. For hunting and accuracy, the Hornady Black with SSTs shoot really well in it and are devastating on deer and other critters.

If you keep an eye out on the PSA website for specials, you can order complete uppers and lowers really cheap, but they are excellent quality. They have so-called "blemish" ones sometimes, and I've yet to find the blemish on one.

Reactions: Dub

Buckhead

I have a Melonite 20” HBAR PA10 in .308. Had it for a few years, has a FN barrel. One of the most accurate rifles I own. Aside from a Patriot Ordinance drop in trigger, is bone stock. Averages 1/2” MOA at 100 with 168 gr match. Ragged hole groups not uncommon. Not bad for a $600 AR10.

Attachments

• A11123BF-3841-4FB5-979C-45B3979849CA.jpeg
    A11123BF-3841-4FB5-979C-45B3979849CA.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 4

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very encouraging on the ammo. I've got a couple of their 5.56 uppers that I've never had any problems with but I normally run brass in those although I have shot a few steel rounds every now and then just to see if it does.

I've watched PSA fairly often and seems like I can never catch them with a 7.62 upper with 16" barrel but ya'll have peaked my interest again lol. Thanks
They don't make a lot of them, but they make them right with the gas port, firing pin, and everything set up right for the 7.62x39. I have a PSA 5.56 that I've shot a lot of steel through with no issues.

transfixer

Very encouraging on the ammo. I've got a couple of their 5.56 uppers that I've never had any problems with but I normally run brass in those although I have shot a few steel rounds every now and then just to see if it does.

I've watched PSA fairly often and seems like I can never catch them with a 7.62 upper with 16" barrel but ya'll have peaked my interest again lol. Thanks

Right now Bear Creek Arsenal has a complete upper in 7.62x39 with 16in barrel and bcg for 214.99, they also have a side charging complete upper for $239, I just ordered a side charging receiver/bcg combo and ordered a 16in barrel seperate cause I want to use an adjustable gas block and different handguard.

transfixer

I read BCA have great reviews, plus I like the idea of the side charge. I might hafta look into it, thanks

I have three of their barrels, and just ordered a fourth, all excellent, I don't know how they do it, for the price they do, but I'll put their barrels up against any manufacturer in terms of accuracy.

transfixer

Ordered one last night. Just happen to be checking all the usual websites for shot show sales when I decided to pull the trigger on the BCA while it was still on sale.

When it went to my shopping cart, it was 10% off from advertised sale price from 01/20-01/24 for shot show. Couldn't push the pay now button fast enough. This was about 10pm last night, just in the nick of time before cut-off. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Now, who's got the best price on CPD mags?
:cheers:

Just saw where Primary Arms has the 10rd mags on sale for 10.99, the 20 rounders are hard to find right now, 30rd can be found, but I'm not looking to buy any of those.

transfixer

Same here, I don't care for 30 rounders myself, just too much for an old man to carry lol. Not crazy about Primary Arms checkout process either where you have to give CC info before you get a shipping quote but that's the best price I've seen as well.

I buy quite a lot from them, haven't had any issues yet, they have extremely fast shipping ! and a lot of stuff can be shipped USPS for a reasonable price. I don't like the 30 rounders for a couple reasons, one I don't have to have that much ammo at once, and two, they stick down too far and get in the way, especially if trying to shoot from a bench,