Coon Hunters needed in Heard County

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
meriwether and coweta. we are 3 guys two of us work for Coweta County
Could be interesting. I'd like to talk to my neighbor first.
I have 320 acres, a pretty square piece of property. Will the dogs run off of that? I'm directly on Hwy 19.

Doug B.

You don't know what the "small fee" is. Could be a case of cold drinks, or maybe 0.05.
I think its a great opportunity for someone that wants to run dogs.
But the guy is wanting somebody that coon hunts to come "help" him out. So he has a coon problem but wants somebody else to pay for it. I can almost guarantee that the fee is more than a case of drinks. That sounds like a great opportunity!!!!

It's like someone with a beaver problem but they don't want to pay me to come catch their beavers. They want me to spend my time, my gas, my money to rid them of their problem.

But the guy is wanting somebody that coon hunts to come "help" him out. So he has a coon problem but wants somebody else to pay for it. I can almost guarantee that the fee is more than a case of drinks. That sounds like a great opportunity!!!!

It's like someone with a beaver problem but they don't want to pay me to come catch their beavers. They want me to spend my time, my gas, my money to rid them of their problem.
If it turns out to be a yearly deal then i would be willing to pay to coon hunt it every year. Its hard to find land after the wma's close to run your dogs year round. Just saying

Doug B.

If it turns out to be a yearly deal then i would be willing to pay to coon hunt it every year. Its hard to find land after the wma's close to run your dogs year round. Just saying
I understand that and I agree. But the OP was looking for somebody to "help" him out. There is a difference in asking for somebody to help with a problem and asking if somebody wants to lease a place to hunt.

1eyefishing

Yes, coons don't know property lines and dogs follow the coon.

I am trying to give somebody an opportunity, but it sounds like my property is too small.. The last thing I want to do is get in a bad situation with the neighbors who I'm trying to get to know better. We share a lot of deer and I would like to be able to get info from them so I'm not hunting a buck that they already killed.
If I can't help out I a coon hunter, I'm a deer idiot?

Not if the offer is made. I as a hound hunter would need to factor in the safety of my dogs.
Depending on dog 320 may be big enough. A close hunting close mouthed cur or feist would probably be fine. A bawl mouthed deep driving comp type hound not so much.
I'd also want to know that if the dog crosses a line it won't get shot on sight and that the neighbors won't be a jerk about it if I grab my dog and apologize. Also I need to know if nearby hardtop gets much traffic at night and that there's no gator infested swamps to worry about.
If I've done all that and still lose a dog its on me.

1eyefishing

Not if the offer is made. I as a hound hunter would need to factor in the safety of my dogs.
Depending on dog 320 may be big enough. A close hunting close mouthed cur or feist would probably be fine. A bawl mouthed deep driving comp type hound not so much.
I'd also want to know that if the dog crosses a line it won't get shot on sight and that the neighbors won't be a jerk about it if I grab my dog and apologize. Also I need to know if nearby hardtop gets much traffic at night and that there's no gator infested swamps to worry about.
If I've done all that and still lose a dog its on me.
^^^ These are the things I'm thinking about.
I've quail hunted enough to know that some breeds of dogs range further than others and thought maybe it would be the same with some coon hounds.
From the center of the property to the property lines is probably 5 or 600 yd in either direction. And we have almost a mile frontage on highway 19 which is speed limit 65... Across the highway is part high fence and part 200+acre cow pasture. If the dogs get over there they'll either have no place to go or I'll have big trouble with one of the county's largest landowners.
And a thigh deep creek that we have trouble crossing cuts off the far quarter of the property... We would have to drive around and park on the road and enter the woods from several hundred yds away if the dogs got over there...
I think most deer hunters hunt in clubs or other people's land where they don't have the opportunity to give someone the go ahead to coon hunt. I don't think it's because they are consciously blocking people out from going hunting.
Can you imagine what a club president would have to go through to get consensus on weather or not they even wanted coon dogs in there... :ROFLMAO:
And if they're leasing land from a timber company like I am, you'd probably have to clue them in with the names of the people participating (same as we have to do for our deer hunters) before they would even technically allow it. IF they would even allow it.
Liability always seems to be the biggest issue...

1eyefishing

It looks like I'm ordering a 1/2 a dozen DPs. Just what I need, another hobby... :bounce:

1eyefishing

Then when you get them going good you can order some foothold traps for coyotes. Go big or go home! Post pictures of your catches in the trapping forum!
I used to could hear a 1/2 a dozen or so coyotes from camp nearly every night.
These days, when they get together it sounds like about 30 of them at a time...

Doug B.

I used to could hear a 1/2 a dozen or so coyotes from camp nearly every night.
These days, when they get together it sounds like about 30 of them at a time...
All the more reason to get some coyote traps. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures in the trapping forum!